05. Funeral

Swimming to her mother's funeral was the hardest thing she'd ever had to endure in her small life.

15 years old! Ursula thought. "I'm only 15, a teenager should not be expected to go through this!" She shouted to herself.

Her hair done up, pulled back and around her head. Shells, with a train flowing at the back. Ursula looked stunning, as did her sister. With her hair, which was blond, like her birth father's. Her's was pulled back in a braid. Shells, designed much like her sister's. Young Red's mane of hair flowing behind him.

They looked like they were attending an event entirely different from a funeral. It was Morgana's idea. She wanted her mother to look down on them from Heaven, with pride.

Though Maria had shown a greater interest in Ursula than Morgana. Not that she ever meant to, she loved both her girls equally. But being a single, poor mother, there wasn't much love to give out. And resembling her birth father, wasn't helping Morgana any.

With Red and Morgana falling apart, Ursula tried to console them. Having been to her birth father's funeral, she knew what to expect.

Maria being pregnant with Morgana at the time, Ursula's sweet little sister was a mess at her step-father and mother's funeral.

"Mama will watch us from heaven, right?" Morgana asked her sister, with a teary eye.

"Of course" Ursula said, reassuring her sister. Though she was sure there was no heaven. Not for mermaids, anyway.

Heaven was reserved for those with immortal souls. Humans. "If only she could" Ursula said to herself, looking up to the surface of the waves.

Athena sang to soothe the guests. Despite her own tears, the sound coming from the teenage girl lifted their spirits, even for a brief moment.

Red sat next to them, blubbering away. Being only 14, he wasn't ready to take the throne.

Who else? Thought Ursula.

Certainly not me. For one thing, he's the king's blood, and let alone, male.

Ursula wasn't about to take responsibility for a kingdom, when she didn't even have responsibility over her love life.

Though, a small part of her fancied the role of 'Queen Ursula'.

The ceremony was quite lovely. But boring, to Ursula anyway.

Most everyone else were too busy sobbing to be board. Not that she didn't or will miss her mother and step-father, Ursula just preferred to do her mourning in private.

What caught her off guard, was the inheritance earnings.

Nothing from Maria, of course. Being poor, she had little to nothing to pass down. Just the love she gave. Perhaps more to one than the other.

"First" said the religious leader. "Our future king, Prince Red Triton"

Swimming forward, Red accepted his father's trident. Tears fell from his eyes, that much Ursula could see from her seat.

"Despite not being the patriarch of our princesses" the religious leader said, motioning to Ursula and Morgana. "Our late King, now God Poseidon somehow found it within his heart of hearts, to reward his step-daughters"

"What's happening?" Ursula asked her sister. Who was still blubbering over their king.

"Oh, I don't know" Morgana blubbered. 

"For Princess Ursula Triton" he began. "King Poseidon's golden nautilus shell"

Swimming before him, Ursula took a bow, attempting to be as respectful as she could.

The religious leader turned her around to face the crowd, and placed a piece of jewelry around her neck. Originally intended for the Queen, it rather suited Ursula well.

"Holding the power of the nautilus is a great responsibility" he told her. "As is the trident, both must only be used in case of emergency. Do you understand?"

Was this the same speech he gave Red?

Ursula just nodded, and accepted her applause.

Taking her seat next to Morgana, her sister was beginning to get angsty.

"And finally" said the religious leader. "Our Princess Morgana Triton"

Ursula turned to her sister. Morgana didn't move.

"Morgana" Ursula whispered to her sister.

"Princess" the religious leader almost demanded.

"Just a moment" Ursula pleaded. "Please"

Ursula took her sister's hand.

"Morgana, what can I do?" Ursula asked, finally getting her attention.

"Bring mama home" was all Morgana could seem to get out.

"Sister" came Red's voice. Followed by his out-stretched hand.

Ursula gave him a look, her eye brows twitching.

Morgana took her brother's hand, and he swam with her to the front.

"Thank you" said the religious leader. "My future king"

Red nodded, and sat back down.

"Now" the religious leader began. "For young Princess Morgana, Poseidon's sphere"

He handed, what Ursula could only guess, was a golden bubble. Somehow solid, and didn't pop when Morgana's nails grazed its edges.