Chapter 9

After her last class, Elle went back to her locker to save some books and to retrieve the locket. She may have been mad at Isaac, but she knew better than to leave the locket in her locker.

When she got home she just sat on her bed thinking about earlier that day. She played with the locket thinking about what Isaac had said. She in fact, didn't know that much about it.

A knock on the door snapped her out of her thoughts.

"Hey," Isaac opened the door and murmured in a shy voice.

For once, Isaac hadn't scared Elle out of her mind, and that worried her. She knew something was up.

Elle sat up straighter as Isaac made his way to where she was.

"I'm sorry about today," the both of them said in unison. A small smile formed on both of their faces.

"I know I have no right to control your life, but I need to protect the locket and that guy just gives me a bad feeling," Isaac seemed genuinely ashamed, which was something new.

Elle sighed, she understood what he meant; he was just doing his job.

"It's ok, I just, I'm tired of being kept in the dark. If I need to be a part of this, I want to know everything about the locket. Who do you protect it from and why?"

"Fair enough," replied Isaac lightly.

He ran a hand through his neat hair, which only made it fall in his face and sighed before starting to talk while pacing the room, his hands behind his back. Elle noticed how he usually did that when he was struggling to talk.

"Many years ago, before you were even born, the locket fell in the hands of the wrong person. He used the powers of the locket to control people and used them for his will against other people, He had tried to do this before, and he's been after the locket for centuries, from before I was alive, and each time the old guardians have found a way to take the locket away from him; they placed it all over the world, hid it were he would least expect it and trusted the locket would find a new owner who would protect it as well.

The last time he found it, it was harder to take it away from him; he's becoming more powerful over the years, he finds new tricks and uses them to improve his powers.

He's a shape shifter, which has allowed him to get close to the locket very easily, and it's why we have to protect it. We can't let him get to the locket again, because it's been a few years since the last time, and I fear that he's become too powerful for us."

Elle just blinked dumbfounded; it was a lot of information to process.

"Can I try using the locket?" the words slipped out of her mouth without thinking.

Isaac's eyes widened, "I don't think that's a good idea."

"I swear I won't make anything bad! I just need to see it with my own eyes..." she trailed off; maybe it wasn't as good of an idea as she had thought of.

Isaac sighed and rubbed his hand over his face, then extended his arms in a "go ahead" manner.

"Oh my God... Ok, how do I do this?" Elle looked up at Isaac, confusion written all over her face.

"Well, just hold the locket, or you can just wear it, and then say your command."

Isaac seemed uneasy about the whole situation, but he just went along with it.

Elle clutched the pendant in her hand and closed her eyes; she took a breath and tried to think of what to ask. Her sister was in the room next to hers, so that would have to do.

"Come here Avery," she whispered in a stern voice.

Not less than a minute, Avery appeared through the door, confusion all over her face.

A small gasp left Elle's mouth when she saw her and Avery only furrowed her eyebrows.

"What am I doing here?" the younger one mumbled and shook her head, while making her way back to her room.

Elle opened her causing the locket to fall on the bed. She looked at it, examining what had just happened.

"Ok, I believe you..."

"Well if you only listened to me..." Isaac rolled his eyes in annoyance. He was right, why did Elle have to question it?

Elle clasped the necklace around her neck yet again and stood up.

Both of them were quiet for a while, neither of them knowing what to say.

They paced through the room, Isaac looking at the photos on the walls and reading the spines of the books on the shelves. Elle went to her desk and fidgeted with small shenanigans that laid there.

While playing with a porcelain figurine of a bunny, Elle held it in her hand, closed her eyes and sighed. She couldn't stand the awkward silence, and was about to say something to break it when she felt a flutter in the palm of her hand.

She opened it to reveal the porcelain bunny hopping around in her palm.

"Isaac," she called with urgency, "something just happened."

She was petrified, the kind that leaves you speechless and frozen to your spot.

Isaac turned to look at what she meant and was caught off guard by the sight in front of him.

But what recalled his attention wasn't the delicate bunny jumping on Elle's hand, but the fact that the locket seemed to be glowing.

"Elle..." he trailed off; he was just as shocked as her, "I think you discovered a new power."

But then he took a looked at the bunny and then the locket, then back at Elle.

"Or may I say, I think you just gave the locket a new power."