Chapter 10

"Okay, do that again"

"I don't know how..." Elle's voice was barely audible, her eyes glued to the porcelain bunny now hopping in her desk. A different figure rested on her hand, this time a small bird.

Isaac's face showed the frustration and confusion that swam through his head.

"Um, well, what did you do before it happened?" he was trying to find the sense in all of these.

Elle tried to recall as best as she could what exactly had happened, but her brain couldn't even process it to begin with.

"Um, I-I, I just clutched it in my palm, and I sighed; I don't think I did anything special," Elle said frustrated.

"Well try doing that and, um, I don't know," Isaac sighed, "try concentrating on it; think what you want it to do."

"I don't even know what I want it to do!"

"Just- make it move." This situation was getting the best of both of them.

Elle took a deep breath before trying what Isaac told her. She closed her eyes and clutched the small bird.

She wished with all her might that the little figurine would move, as creepy as that might sound.

She opened her eyes to see that the bird remained lifeless. She looked at her feet in disappointment.

She didn't notice when the porcelain bird took flight and roamed the room until it landed gently on top of her head.

"Elle..." Isaac mumbled in a choked voice.

"I need to go for a walk."

Elle stood up from her seat and hurriedly made her way across the room. Right before she closed the door, she turned to Isaac and stated, "Don't follow me."

She ran down the stairs and walked out of the door.

She needed to clear her mind. All of this was suddenly very overwhelming--- although it should have been since the beginning.

She just walked, not caring where her feet took her. She was too caught up on her thoughts to pay attention to where she was going. Too much so, that she didn't notice that she had walked all the way to the house where she had bought the locket.

She guessed that her subconscious had brought her to Stella so she might as well ask her about what was happening. Maybe she was finally getting some answers.

She gained enough courage to go up to the door and knocked.

A woman, younger than Stella, opened the door. Elle wasn't expecting someone else to open the door and suddenly she felt very nervous.

"Hi, can I help you?" the woman asked politely.

"Um, yes, I was here a few weeks ago, and I was hoping to talk to Mrs. Harrison? Um she told me her name is Stella..." Elle trailed off.

The color seemed to be drained out of the woman's face by Elle's words, a hand flying to her gasping mouth.

Elle didn't understand the woman's reaction, had she said something wrong?

"Did I- did I say-"

"Is this some kind of sick joke?"

"No! Why would you say that?"

"Stella is my mother, she passed away 2 years ago; we sold some of her stuff on our garage sell a couple months ago. The necklace you're wearing was hers..." the woman pointed at the locket around Elle's neck.

"I'm sorry, I- I have to go..." Elle sprinted out of there as fast as she could. It was as if her world was crumbling around her.

She ran as fast as she could, she just wanted to escape everything that was happening all because of that stupid locket.