Chapter 12

Colton held the vine until it started to wilt. He broke free from it and turned to Elle and Isaac.

"You think you can overpower me with some plants? I will do everything for that locket, and I don't care who I have to run over for achieving that."

He disappeared from his place and reappeared right next to Elle. He grabbed a hold of the locket and snatched it from her neck.

Isaac appeared next to him and held him trying to reach the locket. They struggled against each other's grip and tried to snatch the locket from the hands of the other.

Elle stood there for a moment trying to figure out what to do; she didn't have the locket, so she had to really fight this time.

She gained enough confidence--- more like adrenaline--- to get close to the fighting boys and throw a punch. She hit Colton right under the left eye. It wasn't the best punch but it was enough to distract him and for Isaac to get the necklace back.

He quickly gave it to Elle as Colton recovered from the sudden commotion.

Elle tried to look for something to use in her favor but she struggled to find something. After all, it was an empty warehouse.

She noticed a puddle of water under a small crack in the ceiling. She wasn't sure if she could control water, or other elements, as well but she figured she would give it a try.

Desperate moments call for desperate solutions.

She focused as much as she could on making at least some of the water move. First it was a droplet, then a small stream, until most of the puddle started to float.

She moved it in Colton's direction. She wasn't sure what she was supposed to do with the water now. Was she supposed to pour it on him? Drown him?

Was he even capable of choking?

Isaac must have sensed her hesitation and made a sign with his head to go ahead.

Elle moved the water to his face and it surrounded his head, soon enough he started gasping for air. He tried to make something to get her to stop; he sent a gush of wind her direction.

The water fell to the floor with a splash and Colton gasped trying to breathe properly again.

Elle fell to her knees too.

She looked down at the hand that clutched her stomach to see blood that seeped out from the wound of a piece of broken glass the air had carried.

"ELLE!" Isaac rushed to her side as she clutched the stab wound.

"Elle! Elle! Come on!" Isaac shook Elle as he held her in his arms.

Then it happened.

The locket started to disappear from around Elle's neck.

Both Colton and Isaac screamed at the sight. They knew what that meant.

"What's happening?" Elle mumbled the best she could and slowly brought her hand up to touch the locket that wasn't there anymore, staining her neck with her own blood.

"The locket has been repositioned," Isaac choked out. Elle could see the tears that were threatening to escape from his eyes.

"What? Why?"

"Because there is about to be another guardian," with that a sob escaped from Isaac's mouth along with the tears in his eyes.

"The owner has never been the guardian, I guess he was right, you are special, which only means this won't be the last time we see each other," with that Colton disappeared from the place.

"I-I won't allow it! We're going to get you cured, I-I, I'm going to-"Isaac's sobs made it hard for him to form coherent sentences, but he was cut off by Elle.

"Isaac, no," she mumbled.

"What?! What do you mean 'no'?!"

"Isaac- I will be the next guardian-"

"No! Stop! I won't allow that! I-"

"Isaac, it's time for you to cross, you've done this for long enough, you deserve to be happy, you deserve to be with your family."

"You deserve to live!"

"Isaac, please, I want you to cross to the other side..."

"Elle..." Isaac cried, "please."

"You said it, I must be special, maybe I will defeat Colton, in whatever shape he is next, but right now just wasn't my time. Now it is your time to reunite with your family and with Jeremy."

Isaac cried and shook his head. He couldn't believe the sacrifice Elle was doing for him.

"Why are you doing this?" he mumbled.

"Because I care about you Isaac. More than I ever thought I would." Elle raised her hand as best as she could to touch Isaac's face.

Isaac leaned down and rested his forehead against hers.

"One day, when I cross, I'll meet you on the other side," Elle whispered for the last time.

A blinding light filled the whole room after that.

The next time Elle opened her eyes, she wasn't in the warehouse and Isaac wasn't besides her.

She stood outside a small antique shop in a crowded city, but the people didn't acknowledge her presence. She looked around her to see the sun setting; she then looked inside the shop.

Inside the showcase rested the necklace.

Elle smiled lightly.

After all, she didn't regret buying that locket.