chapter 2

"Why do you guys gotta get food for the grasshoppers?" Cherry asked the Queen. "If anyone should get the food, it should be you, you're the queen!"

"I fully agree, but it's Hopper's rules." the Queen replied.

"And you just do as he says?" Atticus asked.

"I have to..." the Queen frowned.

"Well, if tries anything, I'll teach him a lesson." Atticus said as he cracked his knuckles.

"My husband once said those words..." the Queen said softly. "You remind me so much of him."

"He must have been a strong, brave, and wise king." Atticus said.

"Oh, yes, he really was..." the Queen nodded. "You remind me so much of him."

Atticus smiled shyly to that. They soon heard the sound of a horn being blown.

"Um, what was that?" Cherry asked, a little on the edge.

"That's our warning signal telling us that the grasshoppers are coming." Princess Atta said.

"Oh, no..." Cherry and Atticus said to each other.

All the ants started to panic and ran all over the place.

"Get in your hill!" Cherry told them. "GET IN YOUR HILL!!!"

None of the ants seemed to listen.

Cherry groaned. "I'm being ignored, no one's listening to me, and people keep panicking, I'm the President of the United States." She soon see Atticus looking at her like she was being dramatic about the last part before he went to higher ground so he could get the ants' attention when he spoke to them.

The ants kept scattering around.

Atticus then whistled to get their attention. "YO!"

This caused all the ants to stop running and screaming.

"Quick, we don't have a whole lot of time; anyone who has any food left, put it with the rest of the food on the offering stone and then meet the rest of us inside!" Atticus told them like a leader.

The ants nodded and did what he said.

"How did you do that?" Cherry asked in annoyance as she stood beside him.

"I don't know I guess I just have some leader instincts inside me." Atticus said.

They soon saw Dot, Darla, and Amber rushing over to her mother and them.

"You're dumb." Cherry rolled her eyes.

"You're strange," Atticus replied, then looked out for his little sister and her friend. "Darla? Amber!"

"We heard the warning horn." Darla said.

"Mom, where are you?!" Dot cried out in worry.

"Don't worry, we'll find her." Amber soothed.

"There she is." Atticus said as he saw the queen looking for her younger daughter.

"Dot? DOT!"

"Mom!" Dot rushed over to her mother from the stampede of fleeing ants.

"Thank Heavens." the Queen hugged Dot once they reunited.

"Your Highness, you and Dot better get inside as well." Atticus said.

"Come on, Dottie." the Queen told her younger daughter before she called out to her people. "Okay, everybody, single file, let's GO!"

All of the ants soon got into a single file line while still going into the ant hill. They had to be quick before the grasshoppers would show up. It was the same thing every day for these ants: They come, they eat, they leave. Once everyone was inside, Princess Atta rushed inside as well, except, everyone wasn't inside.