Chapter 5, The Cracked Girl

I had awoken to the sound of people talking and to the slight hum of a machine. I wasn't sure of where I was so taking a risk I decided to open my eyes only to be blinded by the bright light a top my head. I blinked the spots that appeared in my vision away and began to sit up.

It was then that a nurse had noticed that my eyes had opened and that I was sitting up.

'Ah, your awake.'

I nodded my head "Yes".

'Do you know where you are ?'

I shook my head "No".

'Ah, I see...well your in the hospital...you had gotten into a fight at school.'

I blinked owlishly at the nurse. I was confused but decided against voicing my confusion and instead settled on nodding my head as if I understood what she said.

'Well, now that your awake I'm going to get the doctor so that he can check you and your medical records for any abnormalities or to see if your missing anything.' 'Also, your teachers' called us and said that they were going to be coming to visit you.' Said the nurse as she began to walk out.

I said nothing and just blinked.

'*Sigh* well, anyways I'll be back in a minute.' Said the nurse as she waked out of the room.

I just looked at her retreating back and when she was finally gone I had laid back down, my head resting against my pillow with my hands behind my head and began to think.

'Why am I here?' 'The nurse said I had gotten into a fight but I don't remember being in any fights recently.' 'And who are my teachers?' 'I've never had any teacher that actually cared for me much less want to visit me in the hospital...hmm I don't think I should trust this place.'

It was then the nurse had come back into the room with the doctor following behind her.

'See, I told you that the girl was awake, now go on and do what you always wanted to do.' The nurse said whispering the last part so I couldn't hear her.

The doctor nodded before walking in front of my bed and smiling at me.

"Why hello there...Layla." He said smiling.

I shivered.

'He's hell in itself.' 'I need to get out of here.' 'Run, he's the one that broke you, oh, so long ago.' These were my only thoughts.

I managed to bring myself out of my thoughts to hear him ask;

"How are you feeling dear?"

I feared him but, I tried to form a coherent response and answer him anyway.

"f-fine." Shivering a bit from the fear I felt.

'Hmm...we'll see about that dear girl.'

"Well, let me run some tests on you and check your medical records, and we'll see if what you say is true." Said the doctor.

I shivered involuntarily at the doctors' tone but just slowly nodded my head.

He smiled. I didn't like that smile, it made me sick.

After about five minutes of the doctor checking me he said that I had missed one of my flu shots and had been scheduled to have it but never did. I wanted to run for my life but I didn't want to be seen as crazy and defiant so I just nodded my head.

The doctor smiled and went to go grab the things he needed to administer the shot.

About a minute later the doctor had returned with the tray holding everything he needed.