Chapter 10: The Night Dancer (part 2)

The lights were dim and the music was roaring

The lights were dim and the music was roaring. I tighten my mask and straighten my back before I exit my limousine. As I stepped out the music became more clear. "Ready for a night to remember?" Mackenzie questioned her sister and she giggled. 

The ball was themed. Females were animals and males were colours or nature. The twins chose to be tigers. And they chose me to be a monarch butterfly. Exiting the lovely seats in the limousine Tyson stood by the entrance jittery playing with his thumbs. his royal blue suit sits on his figure properly and makes him pop out more from the backdrop behind him. I beeline towards him and he stays still waiting till I reach him.

"Hey there. You look good," he watches the ground and takes occasional peeks at my face. His mask is blue with waves at the top. 

"I wish I  was as ready as the twins. Other than that yes I am ready." I wrap my arm with is and we waltz in behind the twins who are pouncing in excitement. I scan the room and a male turned away in a dark red suit caught my eye. I waltz toward him while Tyson is distracted by the twin fixing his suit. 

The man turns around and is holding two cups of punch.  I look up and see his red mask lazily tied around his face. His jawline and messy dark hair gave his identity away. "Luke who's the drink for?" I look at the cups and put my hand on my hip. 

"For one lucky lady I know and apparently all men want." He pushes the cup towards me. I blush and accept it. I drink it and it goes down smoothly and I put the cup down on the table

"Now if you may excuse me I promised to dance with Tyson." I go turn away and Luke grabs my arm and looks at me mischievously.

"Only if you accept a dance with me, Madame." I smile and nod and he lets my arm go and I walk back to where the last time I saw  Tyson and he still sat there patiently waiting for me. We walk out onto the dance floor and have fun our own way. 

A bit after a man in a dark green suit bumps into me making me trip on my dress and start falling forward. And this man in a pearl white suit catches me and swiftly picks me up and looks at me with a soft smile.

"Hey, I'm sorry I didn't see you I was a little preoccupied. Could I maybe get you a drink as an apology?" The man in the green suit says and looks at my savior to put me down which he does.

"That would be great thank you." He walks away and I turn to my savior. "Thank you for catching me back there. I would have been dead meat if I dirtied the dress the twins made for me." He said nothing and just stood there watching over me in the direction the man went. 

"Hey sorry, it took me so long there was a line-up. *Giggles* didn't know people loved punch." He reaches out to pass me the glass and my finger just brushed the edge of the cup and the man in white swiftly reaches for the cup and chugs it down and stares at him angrily. 

"Find different women to roofie." He pushes him away and drags me out of the hall and down the road. He pulls his tie off and passes it to me and removes his mask and throws it against the curb. He looks back at me and I can see the soft brown eyes that Brett owns. "I'm sorry but I couldn't see you hurt or taken advantage of come with me please." He reaches out and I instinctively grab it and he pulls me down a long wide trail through the woods.

"I can't go too far I could wreck the dress Brett and it's my first one." He slows his pace to a halt and picks me up princess style and continues as if I am weightless. We continue like this for at least 15 minutes and arrive at this small cabin with lights glowing in the woods outside. He slides me down and walks ahead. I pick up my dress and shuffle to the door that he holds open for me. 

Inside was a modern twist, soft white walls and a light grey rug covers the whole floor. The furniture was black and brown. Lights were at a dim glow causing shadow streaks across the ceiling. Brett walked past me and into a small kitchen to the left and open a cabinet which was filled with small bottles of what seems to be herbs and spices.  He grabs one that has a green curly stem looking thing in it and takes one out and chews it. He climbs up and climbs a ladder to a small bedroom. 

I look around and sit on the large back sofa. I look around and see some framed photos of what seems to be Brett as a child. I stumble over and observe the photos of Brett and his father through the years. I stop at a photo of just Brett around the age of twelve on stage with a violin. I smile and relax. "That was a talent show at my old elementary school." I flip around to see Brett wearing a black t-shirt and jeans holding onto a very large hoodie in his hand out toward me.

"Here, I don't have many female clothes but this can hide everything for you. I'll be right back am gonna go turn on the generator. " He points toward the door and I grab the hoodie and he leaves as fast as he came. I change as fast as I could. The hoodie was a thick and soft grey fabric. I curled up on a chair waiting for Brett to return and explain it to me. The lights flicker brighter and I can hear the low hum of the fridge turn on. Brett ushers meto the bathroom and I swirl around to watch him exit the cabin and stand in front of the main window facing away from the building. I rush this dress off my silhouette 

I watch the door and it swings open with Brett's large composure filling the doorway. He stalks in and sits across from me. His breath is harsh and deep and he stares at me trying to read me. He nods and looks away with a soft blush tinting his cheeks. "I would feel better if you slept here with me tonight. I don't mean together, together with us under the same roof. You can take the bed I'll have the couch. I have spare blankets." He gets up abruptly and I follow his lead.

"You don't have to do that. I'm still confused and I'm not used to being alone. Can you lay beside me for a little while please, only till I fall asleep I promise." I pick at my fingers and look up at him as he analyses the situation through his head. 

He takes a sharp inhale and brings his focus on me. "Fine, but I am going to sit on a chair beside the bed." He walks over to a chair in the corner and lifts it enough not to scrape the floor and glided himself across to the edge of the bed. He slouches into the pillows stacked against the headboard.  he hums softly as he glides his legs over the comforter and rested near the edge. He seemed more on edge than I was feeling.

I wrap my arm below the pillow and snuggle into it as his deep hums wash me to sleep.