Chapter 2 : Someone

For days, Karen lived her dream. She kept attending to her classes, but spent most of her time working for IBM. She had in mind to create a new prototype of computers with an internal data which would be huge enough to support five or six different softwares. When she was at IBM, she was spending most of her time in a special office near Joe's one, creating her codes, trying to make her programs and even, sometimes, building her own computer. Joe loved to watch her working. She seemed to love her tasks more than going to study.

-Are you gonna keep watching over her for hours ? Gordon Clark asked him while entering in his office

-I'm amazed by the way she works.

-I can see that.

Joe was staring at her. She was wearing headphones, her only way to keep focusing on her work. He watched her, creating her own computer, like a father would watch his child creating something with cubes. He was impressed by the talent she had, and wanted her to give him more. He knew she would do anything to please him. While she was sitting on the ground, trying to assemble a few parts of her computer, Joe entered in the office.

-So ? Work in progress ?

He didn't notice that Karen had her headphones on. She was listening " I love it loud " from KISS. She loved this group, love their style. She loved to apply their makeup when she was at her friend's parties. Joe stepped forward, Karen was too much in her trip to hear him getting closer. She kept manipulating her computer, humming the song without even bothering about Joe's possible presence. The tall man touched the top of her head, forcing her to turn herself to him. She sent him a awkward smile, getting her headphones off. Joe was pissed by this attitude, but her sweet smile warmed him.

-Sorry, what did you say ? Karen asked

-Is your work still in progress ?

-Yeah ! For once the computer is easy to manipulate. I changed a few stuff to increase the floppy disk. I will try to add a double-density floppy disk once I'll get rid of some stuff.

-Good.

"- Still in progress. "

He didn't smile, he stood still and crossed his hands on his back. Joe had nothing else to say, not even a single compassion to share to this young worker who just deserved a " good ". He turned himself back to the door and walked outside the office, leaving Karen alone. After a few hours, Gordon entered in the room with a pack of beers and some sandwiches. Karen took her headphones off and cleaned her hands by a tissue.

-Hey there, you must be hungry as fuck since you didn't eat the whole day.

-Thanks ! Karen replied, That's super kind from you, I was starving.

-Wanna go to eat with all of us ? I mean, it's a way better for you to come to the office with all of us instead of being left alone here with your specimen.

Karen nodded and stood up, going outside of the office with the pack of beer. The professional space was kinda different from what she expected. She quickly understood that people were drinking beers and cola because Joe was gone. They were drinking, eating, laughing, making mess in the office. But nobody cared since Sir.Eyebrows was gone. Karen was welcomed with open arms since she was carrying some beers. She sat on a chair and drank a little, eating.

-It will help you to relax. Gordon smiled, sitting on the desk next to her

-Why are you guys so kind with me ?

-'Cause we see how Joe basically treats you. I mean, you're spending your whole free days at this office while we're all here. Time to relax and abandon your prototype.