Chapter 4 : Cold

Quickly after the night they spent together, Joe's grip on Karen never stopped growing. Karen was his beautiful student, his personnal student. When she wasn't struggling to pass her exams, she was in IBM, creating softwares. Joe grew jealous of the special bond of Karen and Gordon. He disliked the way he was trying to make her think about something else than work. He wanted to use her to death, and throw her away after she would become useless to him. He always wanted more.

With time, Karen began to love Opium. She was living a restless life, always running, always doing her best to attract Joe's sympathy. When she was able to find some time away from Joe's opressive sight, she was smoking in a secret opium pipe she always kept away. Joe had no idea about this behaviour, he was too busy with Cameron. He was too busy to hide her from Karen. He didn't want his two pleasure toys to meet. He was too scared to imagine what a possible chat between the two young women would create.

" EROR 404 : VIRUS "

A night, Joe left Karen at his apartment so she would work on the new software she wanted to publish in early April 1983, in a little less than a year. Alone, she breathed in her opium pipe and walked around his empty apartment. All lights were shut down, except in the office where she was working. She heard the sound of the machine when she walked outside the office and closed the door, slowly lingering around his living room. She refused to switch the lights on. The darkness of Joe's apartment was nice enough for her to appreciate the view on Houston. The apartment was blue, green and a bit yellow, the lights of the city were enough for Karen. She watched the city move before her eyes, thinking that everything had a logic.

Cars rolled on each sides of the road, not bumping each other. People walked like robots. Buildings were almost the same. There was a perspective which made Karen think that the world was perfectly round, that everything was made to be at its place. She wished to find her place. She watched the scenery, listening to the only sound of the clock in Joe's kitchen, and the sound of her computer in the background. She turned around and walked to a buffet were she noticed a picture lost among baseball pictures and a few souvenirs from other countries. Joe was with Cameron and Gordon, celebrating IBM's new software. It was a year before she came in.

-Who's that

-Who's that... she muttered

Karen took the picture between her fingers and analyzed Cameron. She clearly felt a strong attraction for this beautiful girl, the perfect stereotype of the modern girl. Tall and skinny, short blond hair, boyish outfit. She was beautiful. The girl was smirking, and Karen noticed Joe's fingers on her waist. Being sober, she never gave any attention to objects of furniture of Joe's apartment, but being a little high, everything mattered. Karen took the picture out of the frame and turned it back to see their names. " Gordon Clark, Joe MacMillan, Cameron Howe, 1981. "

-Cameron Howe. Karen repeated a few times

First, she thought Cameron was Joe's sister. Then, his ex. Too many questions made a mess in her brain. When she felt that anxiety was coming back to her, she dropped the picture on the buffet and walked back to Joe's room where she took her opium pipe out of her bag. She was scared to see Joe enter in the room and find out she was trying to calm herself by taking drugs, but needed opium to feel better. She needed a compensation to the lack of freedom and lack of happiness. She was Joe's puppet.