Chapter 8 : Distorsion

For a while, Karen lived at the Clark's house. She had no place to go at this time, only this. After Cameron's studio, she needed another place, far away from drugs, aclohol or anything. She needed a time away. As she learnt that Ian was coming back in Houston, she quickly began to live with him, not so far from the university. Karen quitted IBM to finish her year. Every day, Joe watched her. Hidding in streets, in a disguize, he watched her. He watched her moving, her fashion changing. He watched his beloved girl do her routine. He was her shadow. They quickly broke up once they met at IBM, when Karen gave Joe's keys back.

-Sorry, but we're clearly not made to be together. Karen told him

    They broke up in early July. A few days later, Karen was turning 24. When she left Joe, she thought she was free. Cameron helped her to get over it, and herself left him in August. Joe met another girl, she was named Sara Wheeler. He quickly began a relationship with her, he thought she would fill the void Karen and Cameron created after leaving him. However, this woman was unaware of Joe's behaviour toward his two " exs ". There was no worser pain to see Cameron leaving Houston. And the terrible show he saw everyday was Karen's relationship with Ian. She was living a pure perfection with this man who was, for her, a charming prince. There was no night where he couldn't think about Karen or Cameron.

-I asked them not to leave... so why did they leave me ? I asked. Joe once asked Gordon

-Because asking someone to stay with you isn't something normal. You can't ask someone to stay with you, it depends of the relationship you have with them.

    Gordon was right. Joe sighed and walked away, slowly beginning his depature to Austin with his girlfriend. In early November, as he expected nothing from Karen, he recieved a letter asking him to come at the late student celebration in early February.

-What's that ? Sara asked, taking the paper

-An invitation to a student party.

-A student party ? Seriously ?

-I used to be a teacher in the university where I'm invited so I think it's better to attend there.

    Sara nodded. Joe and Karen met again after five months without talking to each other, in early December. He didn't expect their meeting to go so well, enjoying each single minut with her without even thinking that they were no longer together. Karen seemed happy, smiling to him, talking about her life and the current job she had, but also to the place she earned in New York City.

-I hade a job offer in New York City ! she said, Microsoft needed a new designer !

-Oh ! That's awesome ! When are you leaving for New York ?

-The day after the party !

-I'll take you to the airport myself.

    Joe was serious when he said that. He wanted to enjoy each little minut with Karen. However, since the day they met again, he feared the day he would lead her to the airport. He feared the last moment he would see her. He feared the day of their farewell. A week later, Joe and Sara began to live in Austin, Joe still kept his apartment in the center of Houston. He came back around a day before the party. He learnt that Ian was already in New York City, Karen was alone.

"- A last time here. "

    He thought about Karen. How would she look that night ? Beautiful, as always. Even more this night, because Joe had in mind that it would be their last night together. She would be the beautiful girl he met three years ago. Karen was herself scared to see Joe again after such a while, but didn't really care about his appearence. She wanted to see him again, at least a last time. Joe drove to Houston's college and stayed inside the car a little. He wanted to step in, his heart rushing. He was excited, but scared at once.