Epilogue : 1992

Years passed, Joe and Karen never stopped writing letters to each other, talking about their respective lives, but never saw each other. In October 1986, Karen gave birth to a boy she named Jared. And in January 1988, she gave birth to a girl she named Tatiana. She sent him a few pictures of them, but Joe had no idea about the way their mother looked. Her union with Ian was a perfection, and Joe was single. The successive relationships with Sara Wheeler, the girlfriend he had during Karen's departure, Cameron, Ryan... and a few other men and women changed him. He lost weight and left his hair grow a little. He had some problems with his view so he began to wear eyeglasses. People would see how older Joe was slowly becoming. He didn't have the force he once had, but was still the same hero he used to be ten years ago. Karen became the manager of her own team in Mircosoft's company, always keeping a relationship with Cameron. She was a proud woman, her hair was longer, her body a little thicker. But she was a woman, and loved herself.

    When Joe found a little free time, he called Karen to meet each other. He proposed San Fransisco first, but wanted to remain in Texas. He proposed to meet at La Porte, near Houston, and Karen accepted. The weather was nice this 17th September 1992. Joe walked on the beach, lost in his mind. He thought about Karen, his heart was rushing. He knew she brought her children with her, perhaps Ian, yet he didn't care. He walked around and heard a child screaming. He turned himself back and noticed a little girl running to him.

-Uncle Joe ! Tatiana shouted

    " Uncle Joe. ". That's how Karen taught her children to call Joe. The little ran to Joe who was standing not so far from the beach. She was followed by Jared holding a flower bouquet. Joe knelt to greet Tatiana and warmly embraced her. The little girl smiled and kissed his cheek, Jared embraced him after it. Joe turned his head up to see the two children and smiled. They were almost identical.

-Oh my god look how big you both are ! Joe smiled

-I'm the tallest ! Jared answered

    Joe smiled and embraced them again. Between two parasols, holding a bag, he noticed her. Karen was getting closer and closer to him with a bright smile. The children went to play around, leaving Karen walk alone to Joe. Her heart was rushing.

-Hey Joe. she smiled

-It's been a while.

-I know we've got many things to tell each other.

    Joe smiled to Karen. She was beautiful, more this day than ten years ago. Yes, ten years ago, this duet was at Houston's college, in the class, talking about prototypes of computers which were, now, used in museums as the relics of an old time, the time when everything was possible, when everything was to be created. He went a little close and quickly embraced her. The beautifulest day of his life was here, before him. He was smelling her perfume for a while, stroking her hair, leaving tears roll down his cheeks. The duet was back. Joe and Karen talked about their respective lives while watching the children play in the water when Joe laughed a little.

-Jared looks a lot like Ian. He's kinda clumsy.

-Yeah, but he's a good boy. His grades are nice enough, I believe he will be a great writer.

-By the way, why isn't Ian with you ?

-He had some stuff to do in Houston, perhaps will he join us later.

    They watched the children in a long, deep and nostalgic sigh. They both felt old, they both thought about those times they spent together. They couldn't believe they knew each other for ten years already. The 80's was their time, and now the 90's would be the the time of their children. They were scared of the new millenium, but were accepting their evolution with a very enthusiastic attitude. They wanted to look at the evolution, they wanted to see the future. They both needed to keep moving.