A Little Fall of Rain

"Why do the good jobs always go sideways?" Jason fumed as he led the way out the back door. They had been trying to finish a deal and get the cash they were owed, but it appeared someone had gotten there first.

The messenger was dead and the cash was nowhere to be found.

"Probably has something to do with all the bad karma." Y/N said dryly. She nudged the body out of the way as she walked out of the room.

Jason huffed a laugh before turning to face her. "Bad karma my ass. The universe has been out to get me since I was born."

"Aww, poor baby." Y/N mocked. She was smiling at Jason when suddenly her face went pale. "Look out!" She shouted as she pulled him out of the way. He was startled as he turned to find the assassin who must have killed their delivery guy. He thrusted a sword into Y/N's abdomen before Jason could react.

Jason screamed and shot all his rounds at the guy's head. The man managed to dodge all the bullets and made his escape into the night.

Jason turned to see his best friend lying on the ground, sword still protruding from her stomach. He got on his knees, taking off his helmet and throwing it off to the side as he cradled her as close as he could without moving the weapon. He reached for his phone to call anyone who could help.

"They aren't going to get here in time, Jaybird, and you know it." Y/N whispered.

"Don't say that. You are going to be just fine." Jason said as he dialed the number. Y/N reached up and took his phone from him.

"Aw, Jason, you like to pretend you are so cynical, but you are really so hopeful, my little optimist." Y/N laughed and coughed. "Oh, laughing makes it hurt. Don't let me laugh."

Jason smiled and brushed some of the hair away from her face.

"You know, I was hoping I would get to tell you this under completely different circumstances, but if this is my only chance then I guess I have to take it." Y/N took as deep a breath as she could. "I love you. I love you more than I have loved anything in my entire life and you have made me so happy just by being with me."

Jason started to cry as Y/N brushed the hair back from his face. "I want you to do something for me. Can you do something for me, please? It is so important." He nodded quickly and clutched her hand to his face. "Don't go dark again. The light in you, the part of you that I love and I know to some extent loves me back, don't let it go away. It is gonna hurt, darling. I know it will. It hurt when I heard you died so I know, but you gotta keep strong for me, okay?" He nodded again and kissed the back of her hand. He could feel the tears coursing down his face, despite Y/N's best efforts to wipe some of them away.

"I don't have a lot of time left, Jay." Y/N said as she finally broke down crying. "Tell Roy and Kory I am sorry. They will probably blame themselves for not working this job with us, but that can't really be helped now so no wasting time on those sort of shit thoughts."

Jason just shook his head as tears continued to pour down his face. "I love you, Y/N. And I am so sorry I couldn't prevent this."

Y/N smiled weakly. "I know you do. This isn't your fault. I pulled you out of the way, remember? My stupid need to protect you no matter what is what caused this."

Jason was about to say something when Y/N coughed again. "Well, Jay. I've said my goodbyes so I guess it is time for me to go." She rasped, the light beginning to fade from her eyes.

Jason leaned down and pressed his lips to her forehead. He felt her hand come up and cup his face before falling limp back to her side. Y/N sighed deeply and closed her eyes.

Jason very carefully laid her body back down on the ground. He brushed the hair away from her face before standing up. He put his helmet back on and reached for his gun. Y/N had told him not to go dark, but you can avenge the love of your life and stay in the light, right?