Promise

A/N: So this was written after about a month of not writing fanfiction (school had me in its clutches), so this isn't my best work, but it is okay lol

Jason mentally braced himself as he opened the door to his apartment.

He was late.

Again.

He hadn't meant to be gone so long, but Bruce had asked for his help and the meeting in the cave had ran longer than he originally anticipated. He would never admit it, but he liked working with Bruce and his brothers again. Especially when Barbara put one of them in their place.

Jason winced as he looked into the living room. A pair of Y/N's heels and an empty wine glass told him everything he needed to know. He put the glass in the sink and picked up the shoes before slowly making his way into their bedroom.

Y/N was wearing pajamas and lying on the bed, pretending to read a book while she ignored him. The clothes she had painstakingly picked out for their date were in a messy pile at the foot of the bed. She had changed when she realized he wasn't showing up, after waiting for him for three hours.

He said nothing as he set the shoes back in the closet and hung her clothes back on up. He closed the closet doors and turned back to the bed.

Y/N was exactly where she had been a minute ago, curled up against their pillows while trying very hard to pretend like he didn't exist.

He sat down in front of her at the foot of the bed, not at all surprised when she pulled her feet in even tighter in an attempt to distance herself.

"I'm sorry." He said, eyes carefully examining her face for any change in expression.

She still refused to look in his direction, instead turning the page of her book.

"I didn't think you were the silent treatment type." Jason joked. Still no response from Y/N. Jason sighed and ran a hand through his dark hair. "I really meant to make it. I just let the time slip by and before I knew it I was already late-"

"Fourteen." Y/N's voice cut him off. She was still looking at the book, but her eyes were not focused.

"Pardon?" Jason said, not understanding what she meant.

"This is the fourteenth time you have stood me up." Y/N explained. "Not consecutively."

Jason winced again as she snapped the book shut and placed it on the nightstand.

"In case you hadn't realized, you have stood me up more than you have taken me out." Y/N said, her eyes finally meeting his. He think he prefered her ignoring him to the pain he saw in her e/c eyes.

"I'm sorry." He said lamely. He kicked himself mentally for not coming up with something better, but he hadn't realized just how bad it was.

"You keep saying that." Y/N sighed. She let her head rest against the headboard. Jason got up and picked her up before sitting down with her in his lap.

"That's because I mean it." Jason said. "I am sorry that I haven't been a good boyfriend to you. I am sorry that I haven't been giving you the time and attention you deserve. I don't deserve you and I'm honestly shocked that you haven't left me yet." Jason said as he cupped her face. "I love you more than anything in this world and I promise you that I will try and do everything I can to show you that."

"Don't make promises you can't keep." Y/N whispered.

"But those are the best kinds of promises." Jason teased. "I'm not promising you that I won't ever forget again or that something won't come up and I won't be able to make it. I am just promising you that no matter what happens, you won't have to doubt that I love you."

Y/N nodded, still not entirely happy, but a lot less upset than she had previously been. They sat in silence, close to each other but neither feeling the need to say a word. Until Jason's stomach growled.

"Sorry," He said with a wince. "I thought we might still be going out."

Y/N laughed, burying her face in his shoulder. "Where exactly would we be going this late at night?"

Jason just shook his head as he got up. "Have I ever told you that I am a fantastic cook?" He said, his voice taking on a flirtatious tone.

"Oh, really?" Y/N said. "What exactly are you planning on making?"

"Whatever makes you not mad at me." He replied with a wink before turning and walking out of the bedroom.

"At least he's honest." Y/N chuckled to herself as she got up and followed him.