Chapter Six

We had successfully made it out of the party unsuspected. I had ran into several people on the way out, spilling their drinks, and then apologizing profusely. Once we were out in the almost always empty always she didn't speak a word. Nothing. Zip. Her long strands of hair swaying from side to side. I admired her just a little. How she stood so tall and never second guessed where she was going, figuratively and literally. This chick knew where she was going. We never stopped once to check and make sure the hallway was right. She knew.

Once we made it to a door far off from everyone else, I guess, she stuck a bobby pin in the lock. Jiggling around with it for a few minutes I believe there was a click. Putting her left on the door and turning the handle Rachel slid the door open slowly. Not like there was anyone to disturb. Walking through into the dark my hands instantly felt for a switch. Searching the walls I couldn't seem to find one. Rachel clapped twice. Instant light. Right, because I totally knew that's how all lights go on.

The room was bare and chairs were pushed to the side. Yellow paint was peeling from all sides. It looked like the Main Frame was once in here. Not because of the amount of chairs, but the enormous screen just like the other one. It sat in the very middle. You could clearly see through it to the other side.

"I can only tell you what I know." her voice broke the long silence. I only nodded to give her the "OK, I'm listening, now tell me!"

"Eight years ago John's sister, Elizabeth, a field agent like you, was sent to the seas to recover a package.", there was a pause as she thought out her next few sentences, "This package had classified details and these details were on people who didn't want to be found. So they blew up the ship, Naval Ship 376 that is." THAT WAS IT? That was all she knew? Why couldn't she have told me that at the party?

Clearing her throat she added on one last thing, "I've never really thought of it as a big deal, just another group out to do damage, but this is the old computer, you could probably dig through some information on here."

She gestured to the computer and began to walk back out the door. Looking back at me I thanked her and was about to begin my search when she spoke words that kinda freaked me out.

"Just be careful, you might not like everything that you find here."

Then I was alone. Again. What if I didn't like what I found, what if it was meant to be a secret? I mean this could be some serious crap here. Serious on an extreme level. Breathing in slowly I exhaled and found my voice.

"Computer," I choked on the words, "On."

Nothing happened. What? Wasn't this like a high tech place?

"Um." Waving my hand in front of the screen and expected the screen to light up nothing happened. "Really?" Frustrated I pulled a chair towards me and let myself sit. My eyes examined every single inch of that screen. There was no 'ON' button or 'HEY THIS BUTTON MAKES ME LIGHT UP'.

I stared. And stared. And stared some more. Hey, maybe your eyes will make it uncomfortable and it will have to turn on. -------- No. What seemed to be like ten minutes was actually only two. Are you freaking kidding me?

"Well," I clapped, "You were worth a shot." Placing my chair back something buzzed behind me. The room adapted a light blue glow. Wow. The acronym M.I.A. flashed across the screen and underneath it were block letters, Mission Intelligence Agency. So that's what were called, not E Z Stop. Doing a little happy dance I waited for the screen to load. It took about two minutes to go through its operations and back up its data. Whatever that meant.

A white blank screen popped up and I could only stare at it. It didn't change and I figured the computer was ready.

"Okay---"