Chapter Eight

What was triage? I honestly had no idea, but again, in this place it was the obvious answer. Well… it has to do with three. Right, I guess, but three what? I would find out soon enough, I guess. Ashton had led me through a series of hallways that led to a small parking garage looking room. Everything echoed with your steps and the lights flickered every few seconds. In a few minutes, I would be dead because some dead little girl would pop up the next time the lights flickered.

Shuddering at the thought, we made our way to the end where a single black car sat. We had not spoken a word since the hallways and I had no idea what to do. Stare. Just stare. That’s all I was capable of apparently. My body didn’t know what to do but stare. Be a weirdo and stare like you’ve never seen a car before. A freaking stalker because you can’t blink.

“Get in!” he screamed from inside the car.

Run behind it or in front of it? Which way would he possibly hit me harder? Back. Running around the front I slid my hand across the hood and crossed over to the door. The passenger door clicked when I opened it and rested in its open position before I slammed it shut. It was exactly like the car that had brought me here. Leather and stuff. All black and fancy. Buckling my seatbelt I looked over at Ashton to confirm I was ready.

“Are you sure you’re ready?” he asked, sarcastically. I think. “Do you want to stare a couple more minutes?” A smug little smile crossed his face and I wanted to punch it.

Brushing my hair out of my face and giving a little ‘don’t push it’ glare, he jammed his keys into the ignition. The car began to vibrate from the running engine. Gripping the wheel, he put the car in reverse. Jerking back from the sudden movement, we rounded a corner. Passing cement pillar after cement pillar. His mouth had formed a thin line as he concentrated on getting out of this lot.

The light hurt when we exited the garage; of course after passing through four security gates. It stung my eyes and I felt like a vampire after 2,000 years. An ugly, sweaty vampire. A little painful groan escaped me and my eyes squinted. It was really bright outside and it reminded me of all those summers I spent inside. A ray or two poking through my dusted tattered curtains. Every now and then the window would be open and I would rest my arms on the seal. My chin would sit on my forearms and the breeze would tickle my face. That was probably my favorite place to be, with sun warming my face gently.

Obviously this wasn’t that. Ashton had slipped some sun glasses on and had made it onto this huge road. Looking in my rearview mirror, I saw the dusty hill which I suppose covered E Z Stop. There were buildings and people and actual life going on behind M.I.A. It was amazing to see what I saw from my window at night. Where the lights came from.

“I hope you like going fast.” He made a quick statement before punching the gas pedal so hard I might become infused into my seat. The scenery became a sloppy blur as we darted past cars and intersections.

“Where are we going?” I tried to muster from my complete shock.

“The Bridge!” He responded almost at a yelling level.

“Is that like a secret code name?” A look of confusion crossed his face as his eyebrows furrowed.

“No,” he turned to me quickly, “It’s a bridge.”

“Well what happened?” I continued.

“I don’t know, something about a crash.” He made a sharp turn left, causing my whole body to move uncontrollably.

“Just a car crash?”

“Maybe, or truck or plane. It could be anything!” A tinge of annoyance rested in his voice and I decided if I wanted to live, I should stop. But for some reason I didn’t.