Chapter 8

Chapter 8

I froze in terror. The thought of my tormentor making me unable to move. Cody looked at me, noticing my fear. He stood up and faced the door. Ready for a fight. The trap door opened, a grocery bag dropped to the floor with a Clunk.

"Don't worry. I won't kill you guys. At least not now. You ruined my life. You have to pay." Cody's dad said in a raspy breath. The trap door slammed shut. Cody walked over to the bag, opening it, finding two big mac meals. I walked over slowly as he took a cheeseburger out and bit into it.

"Seems fine..." He said, taking another bite. Finally realizing how hungry I was and quickly sat next to him and found my own cheeseburger. We sat in silence, eating the rest of the food, before Cody spoke.

"I wonder what he's up to." It was almost like he was talking to himself. But it was a good question. "What did he mean by 'You have to pay.'?" He continued, thinking aloud. "Giving us food isn't a very good way to get revenge." He paused.

"Actually..." I started. He chuckled quietly.

"Yeah... I guess if you think about it that way."

The rest of the day was mainly uneventful. He dropped another sack of food down at what I guess was either breakfast or dinner. Other than that, me and Cody just sat around talking about random stuff.

About two hours after the second bag of food. The lights switch off, and sent our conversation about school into the dark...Literally. Cody insisted that I take the bed, but after a long hour of arguing, he gave in. But demanded that I take the pillow. I took it and we were soon asleep.

When I woke up the next morning the lights were still off. And they didn't turn on. The food came in darkness. We ate in darkness. By the end of the day, I couldn't remember what it was like to see.

"Cody?" I asked laying my head on the bed.

"Yeah?" He replied wearily.

"What's going to happen to us?"

"I don't know Carmen. I don't know."

"Do you think he'll turn on the lights tomorrow?"

"We just have to wait and see."

"Goodnight Cody."

"Goodnight Carmen." We paused.

"Cody." I began

"Yeah?"

"Thank you." I said. He stayed quiet.

Days passed this way. In the dark. After a week, I snapped.

I lifted up the mattress running my hand along the bottom, until finally I felt a sharp pain on my hand. I grabbed the knife and let the mattress fall noiselessly. I walked over the bathroom and locked the door. Even the bathroom was black. I steadied myself against the counter, breathing heavily. I fell the ground and started crying again, I cried a lot those days. Cody shifted in the other room.

"Carmen? Are you alright in there?" He asked knocking on the door.

"no..." I whispered.

"What was that?"

"No." I said louder. "I can't take this anymore. I want to see..." I drowned out.

"It's okay, We'll get out of here soon." He said, trying the handle.

"No, you'll get out of here soon. I give up. I can't do this."

"Carmen... Open the door." He said, his voice stern.

"I'm so sorry that I dragged you into this." the tears came faster.

"Carmen...Please Open the door." His voice turned to pleading as he wobbled the handle. I didn't answer. He banged on the door. I raised the knife to where it was pointing down at my neck. The tears shook through me. I was going to do it. Be done with it. I gulped back the last of the tears, and raised the knife higher. The door crashed open, Cody staggering in. The faint outline of him coming over to me. He found my shaking hands and took the knife from me. He wrapped his arms around me as I started crying again. I buried my head into his shoulder. He reached up and took my chin raising my face until I was staring his in the eye. Then, he did the last thing I would have expected. He kissed me.