Chapter 5- a twist in faith

[y/n] P.O.V

"See you guys later!" Zael shouted while waving from afar.

As Zael drifted to purchase more beer , the rest of the mercenaries, including me headed to the bridge near the greengrocer to experience a the blast of fireworks that nearly going to commence.

Mirania was ahead of the group, excitedly walking through the refreshing air followed by Syrenne and Lowell next to each other without initiating a fight. Lastly behind the group was me, Dagran and Yurick. 

As we arrived at the bridge the whole city was in utter silence waiting for the grand surprise of colorful explosions to crack. Suddenly, a silent ray soared into the sky and blossomed into  hundreds of colorful rays of light. 

"its comforting to see something beautiful exists in this chaos were surrounded " Yurick whispered.

"I knew there were some appreciative feelings in that mind of yours Yurick " Lowell chuckled.

"I...just like the colors ...but not the big crowd of people" Yurick replied.

After the last set of fireworks were set off into the pitch black sky, a felt a large hand on my shoulder. " [y/n] there's somewhere i need you to tag along with me " Dagran calmly announced. 

"Well catch up with you two later at the greengrocer to pick up food for a feast" Syrenne said

As they headed for the market I followed Dagran in silence. 

"um where are headed to Dagran ?" I abruptly questioned

"Since you're a new member to the group we cant have you be left behind in the tavern, so we need to buy new clothes and a weapon for you to utilize when you join us in battle."

"Me fight?! I don't know how to use any of them and I don't think ill prepared in such a short amount of time to fight." 

"Don't worry about to much with practice you'll be ready. Besides each us of are here to help you out if you face trouble."

In a moment we arrived at the equipment store to purchase a weapon for me. I was familiar with the weapons and their strengths individually but I didn't say anything or else Dagran will question this fact. I decided to leave the shopping to Dagran.

"Since we already have enough swordsman and magic users you'll be our first archer. As an archer the appropriate armor you should be clothed in is stealth armor" Dagran listed.

"Is it okay to do this? I don't want the money  you've all worked hard on to be spent on me..." 

"This isn't going to be a waste surely you'll also work hard to help us out" Dagran assured.

Inside the store I was actually able to visualize the interior of the armor shop clearly rather than in the game you only are presented with a list of  clothes. There were various shelves stocked with different armor pieces with prices listed above. 

"Welcome you two! How may I help you folk" the store owner cheerfully welcomed us.

"We'll take 1 stealth greaves and armor "

"Is this a present for your girlfriend ?" the owner chuckled

"Yes it is for her.. but she's a friend" Dagran answered slightly taken back.

"alright, that'll be 60g (gold) ". 

He winked at Dagran but we silently headed out after receiving the item.

"Okay.. the last thing we need to pick up is a sturdy bow "  Dagran said breaking the silence.

Thus, Dagran bought me the best bow they had in stock and after heading out of the archery shop I saw two knight in a corner  talking loudly (no one outside at this time anymore). While Dagran was paying the owner i stood by the wall trying to make out what they were conversing about.

"...I heard that recently that the princess picked a young lad who was in front of the gate flat on the ground in a dirty state and starving" One soldier whispered. "Not only did they tidy him up they allowed him to remain in the castle and take lessons to become a knight" 

"Have they revealed the identity of the boy ?" the other soldier answered .

"He said his name was Quark I believe." 

"what an odd name.."

Quark?! That's Dagran's name in the Japanese version. What's happening? Are the same sequences not  happening or is this becoming a new story? I haven't done many changes except join Dagran's mercenaries group.

..."Are you alright [y/n] " Dagran said " You look spaced out"

That surprised me for a moment!

"Before we meet up with everyone in the market..." Dagran spoke out.

He picked up my foot, washed it with water from a bag he bought, inserting my foot into a short black boot made with soft fabric. He did the same with my other foot. 

Dagran P.O.V

As I slipped her second foot into the boot I heard sniffling above me. As i raised my head, i saw [y/n] shedding tears for the first time while cover her mouth with a hand. 

"How do you feel?" I softly asked.

"I'm just happy that you are the first person to have given me so much even though we've just met..."

"I think.. that those who are suffering  should not be ignored even if were not related by blood and I want you to remember that there are kind people in this world who heal the wounds of others because they care and others understand what suffering feels like.Me and Zael had our  hometowns burn to ashes along with the death of our families... but we'll continue to make of futures for ourselves and strive become knights .Their is definite hope in this chaotic world."

She only continued to sob but I rose up and softly patted her head.

"let's go meet up with the others at the market"

"okay!" she replied with enthusiasm.

[Y/N] P.O.V

I didn't just cry because he gave me gifts but because he had such a kind personality but depressed that a kind person which the world needed more of disappears from existence.

In no time we arrived at the market but in the group I noticed that Zael was there too. Did he not meet Calista?!

"You guys took your time" Syrenne said as she saw us approach . "we've already finished  buying the food we're going to eat for the feast."

" Also finished delivering the booze Syrenne will be drinking all night". Zael also include.

"We should head back now to the tavern for the feast then" Dagran said

"What's with the armor and bow Dagran" Lowell exclaimed before we left to the tavern.

"Oh yeah, Theres something i need to tell al of you. As of today [y/n] is part of out mercenary band and her position is an archer. Although she has no experience we'll help her improve."

"sounds like a great idea" Syrenne said.

"we'll make sure you don't get injured in battlefield whenever we're involved in one" Zael said.

"Can we go now? its freezing out here" moaned Yurick.

In the end as we went back to the Tavern I noticed the cart Zael first encounters Calista was never there. Thus we spent all night long feasting , laughing and  I got to know more about each of them more (except their sad stories). When they asked me what my dream was I said  I wanted to heal people's  emotional wounds.