Chapter 42

Hermione left the bookshop with a heavy heart. She had visited the little store on the high street every day that week and everyday she left it feeling sad and defeated. She hadn't found a single book that she wanted to read and every time she entered all she could think about was Ron.

Thousands of books about everything Hermione could every imagine, although recently she'd found herself being drawn to the magical section with hundreds of books about witches and wizards. Just a few months ago she'd read through all these books imaging a world that she was certain didn't exist and now she'd lived it all.

She walked down the high street, not wanting to go home too soon as she didn't want to face her parents. A short lady bumped into her and Hermione excused herself, continuing to look down at the pavement as she walked away.

'Hermione?' The woman asked and Hermione spun around to see Mrs Weasley.

'Hi Mrs Weasley,' Hermione said with a small smile.

'Please, please call me Molly,' Mrs Weasley replied, her smile so large that Hermione felt her heart break a little more inside of her chest.

'Hi Molly,' Hermione said.

'What are you doing here?' She asked. 'It's the middle of the term.'

'I...I...' Hermione stuttered and she felt the tears forming in her eyes. She put her head in her hands and felt Mrs Weasley's arms wrapping tightly around her.

'Why don't you come back to the Burrow with me?' She asked. 'I've just finished my shopping and I was going to make some cookies.' Hermione found herself nodding her head and she followed Mrs Weasley down the high street and towards the forest where their house was hidden. It was strange coming here without Ron, but she thought maybe Mrs Weasley would be able to make everything seem a bit better.

'So tell me what happened.' Mrs Weasley asked. Hermione sat on a comfy armchair by the fire, a cup of tea in one hand and a freshly baked cookie in the other.

Hermione explained the story as best she could. How it had all begun to get too much for her, how she'd pushed herself too hard and found herself pushing others away as a result. How she'd snapped and how she couldn't take it a minute longer and had to leave.

'Why do you think you pushed others away from you?' Mrs Weasley asked and Hermione stopped to really think about it.

'I was scared that in a couple of years they would all leave and I'd be left behind.'

'Would that really be the end of the world?' Mrs Weasley asked. 'By the sounds of it you're a very bright witch and you should make the most of your time at Hogwarts to ensure that you can become the best that you can be. I'm sure that none of them want to leave. If they could I'd bet they'd all go back to first year and start again with you.' Mrs Weasley smiled and Hermione found herself smiling back at her. The first time she'd properly smiled in weeks.

'You're right,' Hermione replied, knowing that most of the students at Hogwarts would kill to spend another few years there and there was no point rushing through it.

'I know that Ron really cares about you,' Mrs Weasley said and Hermione found herself having to look away as a deep blush spread across her cheeks. 'And I know that you care about him too.' She added when Hermione didn't reply. 'Whatever he does, just remember that he really cares about you, never forget that.'

'I won't,' Hermione muttered, her voice small and almost inaudible. 'Have I... Do you think I've made a terrible mistake by coming back?' Hermione finally found the courage to ask the question that she'd been thinking since she'd arrived here.

'Were you happy there?' Mrs Weasley asked. 'Before you started worrying that everyone was going to leave you. Were you happy?' She repeated.

'Yes, I was.' Hermione replied not having to think about her answer for a single second. Despite all the pressure she'd put on herself and all of the time she'd spent trying to push everyone away, she'd loved Hogwarts from the minute she'd set foot in the great hall on her first day. Mrs Weasley was right. Ron was right. Everyone was right. She didn't need to spend all of her time pushing herself. She would be fine spending a year or two alone if she had to. She wanted to go back to Hogwarts and be with Ron and Ginny and Harry.

'Then I think you've made a mistake by coming back.' Mrs Weasley said what Hermione knew deep down. But now it was probably too late.

'Do you think they would take me back?' Hermione asked Mrs Weasley.

'There's only one way to find out,' she replied. 'Will you be alright by yourself for a bit dear?' She asked Hermione. 'I need to go and speak to somebody.'

'Of course,' Hermione replied. 'I think I need to go and get some fresh air anyway.' She replied and stood up to stretch her legs. She headed out of the Burrow and walked towards the treehouse where she'd sat with Ginny the day that she'd found out that she was a witch. It had been such a wonderful day and she knew how excited she'd felt in that moment. It was the same excited that she felt right now at the thought of going back.

She watched the birds flying through the trees. She hadn't even had a chance to ride on a broomstick yet and there were so many spells and potions that she desperately wanted to try. Deep down inside her she knew that she wasn't ready to give it all up quite yet.

'Hermione, Hermione,' she could hear Mrs Weasley's voice echoing through the forest and jumped up, scrambling down the ladder and rushing back to the house. Panting she stood by the front door, where Mrs Weasley was waiting for her.

'Yes?' She asked, trying to regain her breath.

'Hermione, my dear. I think you have a train to catch.'