Bible Verses for Men

What does the Bible actually say about a man's role in marriage? The Scriptures below will show you very clearly what a Christian husband should be like. As you read the verses below pray for God's wisdom to help you to become the man you are called to be. (For verses for women, see the previous chapter).

Therefore a man shall leave his father and mother and hold fast to his wife, and they shall become one flesh. Genesis 2:24 (ESV)

Drink water from your own well - share your love only with your wife. Why spill the water of your springs in the streets, having sex with just anyone? You should reserve it for yourselves. Never share it with strangers. Let your wife be a fountain of blessing for you. Rejoice in the wife of your youth. She is a loving deer, a graceful doe. Let her breasts satisfy you always. May you always be captivated by her love. Proverbs 5:15-19 (NLT)

Live happily with the woman you love...The wife God gives you is your reward for all your earthly toil. Ecclesiastes 9:9 (NLT)

You cry out, "Why doesn't the Lord accept my worship?" I'll tell you why! Because the Lord witnessed the vows you and your wife made when you were young. But you have been unfaithful to her, though she remained your faithful partner, the wife of your marriage vows. Didn't the Lord make you one with your wife? In body and spirit you are his. And what does he want? Godly children from your union. So guard your heart; remain loyal to the wife of your youth. "For I hate divorce!" says the Lord, the God of Israel. "To divorce your wife is to overwhelm her with cruelty," says the Lord of Heaven's Armies. "So guard your heart; do not be unfaithful to your wife." Malachi 2:14-16 (NLT)

For the husband is the head of his wife as Christ is the head of the church. He is the Saviour of his body, the church. Ephesians 5:23 (NLT)

For husbands, this means love your wives, just as Christ loved the church. He gave up his life for her to make her holy and clean, washed by the cleansing of God's word...in the same way, husbands ought to love their wives as they love their own bodies. For a man who loves his wife actually shows love for himself. No one hates his own body but feeds and cares for it, just as Christ cares for the church. Ephesians 5:25, 27-29 (NLT)

So again I say, each man must love his wife as he loves himself, and the wife must respect her husband. Ephesians 5:33 (NLT)

Husbands, love your wives, and do not be harsh with them. Col 3:19 (ESV)

So an elder must be a man whose life is above reproach. He must be faithful to his wife...he must manage his own family well, having children who respect and obey him. For if a man cannot manage his own household, how can he take care of God's church? 1 Tim 2a, 4-5 (NLT)

Let deacons each be the husband of one wife, managing their children and their own households well. 1 Tim 3:12 (ESV)

In a similar way, you husbands must live with your wives in an understanding manner, as with a most delicate partner. Honor them as heirs with you of the gracious gift of life, so that nothing may interfere with your prayers. 1 Peter 3:7 (ISV)

The husband should meet his wife's sexual needs, and the wife should do the same thing for her husband. The wife doesn't have authority over her own body but the husband does. Likewise, the husband doesn't have authority over his own body, but the wife does. Don't refuse to meet each other's needs unless you both agree for a short period of time to devote yourselves to prayer. Then come back together again so that Satan might not tempt you because of your lack of self-control. 1 Cor 7:3-5a (CEB)

Marriage must be honored in every respect, with no cheating on the relationship, because God will judge the sexually immoral person and the person who commits adultery. Heb 13:4 (CEB)

Questions for consideration

Have I left my father and mother and do I hold fast to my wife?

Do I rejoice in my wife and live with her happily?

Am I faithful to my wife?

Do I honour my marriage?

Do I keep my sex life (and thought life) to my marriage and keep it pure?

Have I chosen to be the head of my family, actively leading, as God intended?

Do I love my wife sacrificially? Like Christ did, do I lay down my life (deny myself) for my wife?

Am I harsh with my wife?

Do I manage my household well?

Do I live with my wife in an understanding way, honoring her?

Do I meet my wife's sexual needs?

Do I rejoice in my wife? Have I chosen to be satisfied in her?

What verse has spoken to me the most?

What should I now do differently?

Let's honour God by submitting to his will in our life and marriage.

Author's Note: If there are any Scriptures or questions for consideration I should add, please let me know in the comments below. Thank you for reading this. If you have found this useful please vote by clicking the star below.