Marriage Book Review: Joni and Ken: The Untold Love Story

This is the most beautiful true life romance I have ever read. Joni is a quadriplegic Christian icon and this frank look at her marriage with teacher Ken is both inspiring and fascinating.

Joni freely admits it is not easy to care for her. She is unable to brush her own teeth, get dressed, or even turn over in bed - she needs someone to turn her over four or five times a night! Coupled with this, she is a prominent Christian speaker who travels around the world to share her story, speak about Jesus and fundraise for her wheelchair charity. So on the one hand she is totally dependant on others to stay alive and on the other she is famous, a celebrity people get excited to meet. I remember seeing her speak in Japan and it was wonderful.

Enter Ken. An ordinary guy who falls in love with an extraordinary woman. A man who, on their first date, has to empty her toilet bag. As Christians they don't try out living together first, so when he pops the question he has no idea of the relentless demands he will face in caring for Joni and keeping up with her work-schedule.

He struggles along, until one day he has an epiphany. God wants him to be there for Joni and that is his primary job. And from that moment on, he is all in. He is there for her every step of the way as she battles cancer, loving her and cherishing her. He lays down his life for her.

It is amazing to read about such a devoted husband. Yet the Bible talks about husbands and wives becoming "one flesh". 'For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and the man and his wife will become one; so that they are no longer two, but one. What God himself, then, has yoked together no one must separate." Genesis 1:8-9 (OEB).

Often we separate from each other. We have our own lives, interests, friends and work. What does it mean then to be "one flesh"? How can I be totally present in my marriage?

I think it would look something like this:

1) Being genuinely attentive to my husband's needs
2) Really listening to him and responding appropriately
3) Meeting the needs of his wherever I can
4) Choosing to spend time with him and share my life, thoughts, dreams and struggles with him
5) Choosing to be unselfish

Author's Note: Any other thoughts? Please write them in the comments below and vote if you found this helpful.