Marriage Book Review: That Book for Wives by @SallyPoyzer

I turn to this book when I'm struggling to be a godly wife. 'That Book for Wives' is an easy-to-read mix of humor, uncomfortable truths and practical wisdom.

Sally Poyzer married at the age of nineteen and soon learned that a great marriage doesn't just happen. She found she needed God's help. Nearly twenty years later she is a credentialed pastor who ministers to women and talks a lot about marriage. All she has learned about being a wife is in this book.

I have watched her marriage for many years, because she is my younger sister. It is because of what I have seen, that I thoroughly endorse this book. She is truly a great wife and someone I want to emulate.

Take for example her chapter on 'He won't meet your expectations'. Sally says, "If you have expectations of your husband, you are going to go through your married life always disappointed and frustrated with him". Her solution is radical: "Start with no expectations, then whatever he does is a bonus. Whatever good he does you will appreciate instead of focusing on what he did not do". Needless to say, my brother-in-law is a very fortunate man.

'That Book for Wives' is divided up into four main areas, covering how to connect, accept, respect and have sex with your husband. The very titles of the short chapters are telling: 'Peace is better than sleep,' 'He needs you to be his biggest fan' and 'Showing love is better that feeling love'. The basis for all that is shared is the Scriptures.

This is the kind of book you can dip into with only a few minutes to spare, read a short section of, and come away with something real that is inspirational or convicting or funny.

Dr Barry Chant, founder of Tabor Bible College, said, "I can imagine a male reader who happens surreptitiously to get his hands on a copy [of 'That Book for Wives'] thinking, 'Wow, any man would be glad to have a wife like that!'." I like to think that I am a better wife because of reading this and that my husband is a happier man.

Author's Note: 'That Book for Wives' is available on Amazon as well as other places. If you found this interesting, please vote below and feel free to comment.