Reflections on Genesis 2:24 - the Marriage Scripture

Since God invented marriage, what did he say about it? Let's look at the key verse Genesis 2:24

"Therefore a man shall leave his father and his mother and hold fast to his wife, and they shall become one flesh" Genesis 2:24 (ESV)

This is a very interesting scripture, in fact a really key verse on marriage in the bible, but let us look at context of it first before discussing it.

As we read Genesis 1 and 2, we discover marriage was God's idea. God created Adam, the first man. God gave Adam meaningful work to do and Adam enjoyed a wonderful relationship with God. Yet God still said in, Genesis 2:18 "It is not good for man to be alone; I will make a helper fit for him". (ESV). So God created Eve, the first woman, and Adam and Eve were married.

Here is where it gets interesting.

After Eve and Adam come together, God says, "Therefore a man shall leave his father and his mother and hold fast to his wife, and they shall become one flesh". (Genesis 2:24 ESV).

Now, did this relate to Adam?

No, Adam did not have parents. This is a Scripture that God set down to show us all what marriage should look like. Remember, marriage is His idea.

As further proof of the significance of this Scripture we see that Jesus quoted it, in Matthew 19:5, Mark 10:7. It is also quoted in Ephesians 5:31.

Jesus says, in Mark 10:7-8, "Therefore a man shall leave his father and mother and hold fast to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh'. So they are no longer two but one flesh. What therefore God has joined together, let not man separate" (ESV).

This Scripture has four parts:

1) Therefore a man shall leave his father and mother

2) Hold fast to his wife

3) They are no longer two

4) But one flesh

Let us look at these parts separately.

Firstly, a man shall leave his parents when he gets married. Why do you think this is so? Jesus answered this, when he said, "What God has joined together, let not man separate". Parents can cause a husband and wife to separate in big and little ways.  I also think it is very hard for a man to fulfill his role as head of his own family (1 Cor 11:3) if he is under his father's roof.

Secondly, a man is to hold fast to his wife. What does this mean? Primarily to love her. As it says in Ephesians 5:25, 27-29 "Love your wives as Christ loves the church. He gave up his life for her. For a man who loves his wife, actually loves himself" (ESV). Also in Malachi 2:15 "Didn't the Lord make you one with your wife? In body and spirit you are his. And what does he want? Godly children from your union. So guard your heart; remain loyal to the wife of your youth" (NLT). A man is to hold fast to his wife by loving her and remaining loyal to her.

Thirdly, as Jesus said, when you marry, you are no longer two. You come to marriage as two individuals – different jobs, different family backgrounds, different likes and dislikes, different beliefs and values. But Jesus says when you marry you are no longer two.

Because, fourthly, when you marry, you become one flesh. This is what God wants. He wants a oneness in your marriage, a unity between husband and wife. This is why a man must leave his parents and hold fast to his wife. If he stays with his parents, the wife is added to his family. But a man must leave his parents and cling to his wife. They form a unit, a oneness.

How do you become one flesh? Your marriage must be exclusive. In Proverbs 5:15-18 the Bible says,  "Drink water from your own well-share your love only with your wife. Why spill the water of your springs in the streets, having sex with just anyone? You should reserve it for yourselves. Never share it with strangers. Let your wife be a fountain of blessing for you. Rejoice in the wife of your youth" (ESV).

So, as it says in Hebrews 13:4, "Marriage must be honored in every respect with no cheating" (ESV). How do you honor marriage? In what you see, in what you hear, in what you say and in what you do. Be careful to do things that promote your oneness – not things that promote your separateness. 

Finally, as Paul says, "As the Scriptures say, "A man leaves his father and mother and is joined to his wife, and the two are united into one". This is a great mystery, but it is an illustration of the way Christ and the church are one". 

So, our marriage is suppose to be a reflection of our relationship with Christ. Because in the same way, when we come to Christ we must 'leave our parents' - our former way of thinking, doing and being that is different to God's way, 'hold fast' to Christ, and be united into 'one', being 'in Christ'. "Therefore if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation. The old has passed away; behold, the new has come". 2 Corinthians 5:17 (ESV).

When you are in Christ, you must be faithful to him, you must be exclusive to him, you must love him, you must honor him. So it is like the marriage relationship.

Questions for consideration

Have I left my parents for my marriage relationship?

Do I hold fast to my spouse?

Do I promote oneness between my spouse and I?

Is there anything I do that promotes separateness?

Do I honor my marriage in all I see, hear, think and do?

Does my marriage reflect my relationship with Christ?

Have I left behind my old ways of thinking and doing for Christ?

Do I hold fast to Christ?

Am I a new creation in Christ?

Author's Note: If you have found this useful, please vote below and feel free to share it.