Chapter 10

Ashar's POV:
I couldn't understand what was happening. Hareem was just... lying there... in front of my eyes, And Rania, she was shouting...probably at me. I wasn't sure which instinct was stronger.
"What's wrong with you Ashar? CALL THE AMBULANCE DAMMIT." Rania cried. The loud bang of her voice jolted me awake.
I immediately ran, to find, I don't know what exactly, my mobile maybe, I wasn't sure.
Nooray Aunty and Ahmad Uncle came inside following the shouts. "OH MY GOD, Hareeeemmmmm" Aunty screamed.
Wha... What. What happened to her? She continued while stammering.
"I don't know Aunty. She was telling us about her medical condition and then... she... just... passed out. Take her to the hospital, please. Her hands are cold, and she isn't breathing properly." Rania cried.
"Yeah don't worry. She'll be fine. I've called the ambulance. They'll be here any minute. Don't panic. Everything will be alright Inshaa Allah" Ahmad uncle calmed us while getting off the phone.
The ambulance arrived after a little while. I opened the main gate and showed them the way to Hareem's room. They put Hareem on the stretcher with an oxygen mask on her face. They didn't allow more than 2 people so only Aunty and Uncle sat with Hareem in the ambulance.
Rania didn't have the license, so I had to drive and followed them to the hospital in my car.
We reached the hospital in exactly 7 minutes, the nurses immediately took her to the emergency unit. Aunty and Rania were continuously crying. Ahmad uncle tried his best to calm them down. I wasn't in my conscious and had become numb.
After a while my phone rang, the call was from an unknown number, but I picked up "Hello"
"Is this Ashar?" The caller asked.
"Umm yes"
"Hey Ashar, It's me Anushay. Sorry to bother you but do you happen to have any idea where Hareem is? She's neither replying my texts nor answering my calls; her mother's number is also powered off. Can you please confirm if everything is alright?"
"Ummm yeah uh we are at the city hospital. We brought Hareem here 'because she fainted. Doctors are checking her at this very moment. Pray for her please" I replied.
She ended the call without any further talk.
The doctors did Hareem's multiple blood tests, MRI's and found a malfunction in the brain. Brain hemorrhage it was.
I couldn't control myself, I was emotionally unstable. I turned around to hide my emotions and saw Anushay, standing there, with a guy. I had met Anushay at the New Year's party, but couldn't recognize the guy. It took me a minute to realize it was Azlan.
"Hey is everything okay? How is she? What did doctor say? Is she gonna be alright?" Anushay flooded me with questions.
"Yeah she'll be fine Inshaa Allah" I replied.
"Can I see her, please?" She had a concerned look on her face.
"No, she's sleeping, because of all the medicines, you know"
"Okay, then we'll wait for her to wake up. I'm not leaving without seeing her. Will that be okay, Ashar?" She asked me.
"I'm afraid not. Look Anushay, you know everything that has been going on in her life lately. I'm not saying you can't meet her but it's just that Azlan shouldn't be here or anywhere near her" I persuaded.
"I keep trying to figure out what could we've possibly done that hurt her this much?" She asked nervously.
"Seriously? You're asking me? You know exactly what you did. Maybe she was already sick but after what you did, she took hell lot of extra pressure on her mind and that affected her health even more. What were you thinking, Anushay? That it wasn't gonna matter? Well, it did matter to her in every freaking way possible. I don't wanna argue with you guys right now. Anushay you can come visit her at home anytime but for now, just leave. Azlan, ummm I'd like it if I never see your face again. Allah Hafiz." I smiled and showed them the way.
"I came here despite everything Hareem has ever done to me 'cause I do not want Anushay to lose her friend because of me" Azlan yelled.
"You can't lose anything when you're empty, can you?" I interrupted.

******

I couldn't lift my eyelids up. I felt a severe headache, sickening environment, suffocating air, lifeless hands, and yes, my blood that was stopped by the drip. The anesthesia they gave me during brain surgery and medication made me feel grouchy. The white surgical tapes and blue cannula didn't allow me to move my stiff hands, they were swelled. My nails looked pale and there was a constant pain in them. I felt scared and embarrassed because the things I used to do by myself at home, going to the washroom, changing clothes, closing the door or get something to eat or drink, would have to be done by somebody else.
While I was dealing with all of this, suddenly there was a tiny knock at my door.
"Hareem?" I heard Abba's voice.
"Please come in!"
"How are you feeling now?" Abba asked
"How long have I been here, Abba"
"Are you feeling any better, Hareem?" Amma interrupted.
"I am perfectly alright Alhumdulillah. Please tell me how many days have I spent here"
"10 days, my princess but don't worry, everything is exactly how you left it." Abba patted my shoulder.
"Hareem! Are you sure you're feeling better, Meri Jaan?" Amma asked again.
"Yes Amma absolutely"
"You should be at rest, we are waiting for the doctor outside. Close your eyes and relax". Abba kissed my forehead.
"But Ahmad".
"Nooray! just come outside, I am waiting". Abba opened the door.
"We are continuously praying for you, you will recover soon Inshaa Allah." Amma kissed on my cannula injected hand and left.
As soon as they left, I heard someone's sob, a little cry I was much aware of.
"AK come here." I sobbed while looking towards the white window he was leaning onto.
"SHUTUP! Don't you dare call me by this name ever again" He shouted.
"You want me to stay here right! But like this? Don't you have any other excuse to stop me here?" Rania yelled.
"I...I don't know what happened" I stammered.
"Yes, YOU DONT KNOW" What the hell do you even think of yourself? You can't beat the reality by hiding it from us HAREEM AHMAD!" He screamed.
"And look! How badly you broke my trust into pieces, how can I even face this reality knowing that MY STRENGTH IS NOT STRONG ANYMORE. She doesn't know when she'll fall, looks tired every day, cannot walk and stand properly." He added.
"AK I wanted to tell you, but I couldn't gather that much courage! I don't want your eyes to suffer, I don't want you to treat me like a patient, I don't want you to fight with her, and I don't want to lose you" I cried.
"Oh wait! Was she here??
"Hareem you are... She's ruining your life and Look! Just look at yourself, you are still looking for her"
"And for your kind information, she wasn't here" Ashar knew he lied.
"AK! People don't ruin you intentionally, either they are fooled or hurt that way. I won't stop thinking about her because she ain't playing against me"
"Do whatever you want to do!" He said furiously.
"Hareem, we are worried about you, and don't you mind..." Rania was saying something.
"Excuse Me, sir and Ma'am" Nurse interrupted.
"Yes Ma'am?"
"Doctor is waiting outside, he needs to check the patient. Kindly leave the room please." Nurse asked them to leave as she pointed towards the door.
"Take care Hareem, we are waiting outside" Rania kissed my forehead and left.
"Hey Hareem, how are you feeling now?" Doctor Zayn asked as he checked my heartbeat.
"Totally fine" I answered with full dizziness.
"But you don't look well?"
"I am fine, and I am hospital sick, I really want to go home. Please!" I requested.
"Discharge papers are ready; your guardian's signature is needed." He smiled.
"He is waiting outside. But, doctor kindly don't tell him that my condition is not fully stable, he will get more worried and I assure you that as soon as I reach home I'll be perfectly alright Inshaa Allah." I requested.
He patted my shoulder and left the room with papers.
*After 5 minutes*
Amma, Abba, AK, and Rania came inside with a big satisfied smile on their faces. Amma hugged me that I am all set to go home.
I lift myself from the bed, but my hands didn't let me do that. I saw my parents' upset face, I smiled back and tried one more time with a thought that I must do it for them. And there I was, sitting in front of them.
Amma and Rania had happy tears in their eyes. Abba held my hand from one side and Amma from the other, Rania held my back. AK drove the car back to home.
I was walking towards my room and saw something glittery shining in the drawing room, I turned towards there and switch on the lights.
"WELCOME BACK OUR RONAQ"
Written with fairy lights on the wall, everybody screamed "SURPRISEEEEE".
For a moment, I thought who did all this? Probably Nushay? Because Rania, Amma, Abba, and AK were with me all day, and suddenly someone appeared from behind the curtains.
"AOOOO JIII, SADII BAJII GHR AYI AYEEE" Bubbly welcomed me.
I was shocked for a second.
"When did you come back bubbly?? I hurriedly asked.
"Just a day before you went to the hospital."
"It's very much good to see you, my room floor missed your mopping" I laughed.
"HAHAHA BAJII."
"Let's go to your room, you need to rest, now," AK said.
I came back to my room and searched for my mobile because I was worried about Nushay. While I was looking for my mobile there was a knock at the door.
"Hareem, no ifs, and buts, drink this soup right now!" Rania forced.
"But, I am full and I'm feeling very dizzy. I need to sleep."
"I know you're not sleeping instead you're looking for something, but remember one thing! If you don't finish this soup, I'll not give you your mobile back!" She scolded.
"But... okay fine! Give me this bowl!"
"Good girl."
I finished the whole bowl and asked for my mobile.
"Eat these dates as well." She smirked.
"But, this isn't fair! We agreed on the soup."
"Do you want your mobile back? Yes? Then eat them hurry up!" She blackmailed.
She gave it back with a promise that I'll eat whatever she'll give me.
I saw so many notifications on my lock screen by Nushay.
I opened them with a smile on my face and suddenly saw
"DONT YOU EVER TALK TO ME.
Enjoy with him
Goodbye"
messages on my screen.
My hands started shivering, I had tears in my eyes and I couldn't breathe properly, I didn't know what it was.
"ASHAR KHALID, where the hell are you?" I screamed.
"What happened Hareem?" Amma came inside.
"Call him! I want him right here, right now!" I cried.
"Ok calm down, he is here, wait! But tell me what happened?" She asked.
"Yes Hareem, what now?" He seemed irritated.
"Did Nushay come to the hospital? Did you lie?
"Yes she was there with her boyfriend and I lied because of your condition which is just because of her."
"Are you mad or what?"
"Hareem, you're unbelievable!"
"Am l? What about you? How wise of you to send my best friend back, Ashar" I shouted.
"I did whatever I thought was right!"
"Get lost! Don't come in front of me"
He left without saying a word.
"I HATE YOU!" I threw a pillow on his back.
I started calling Nushay, but she wasn't answering.
"Ya Allah! Be merciful! Everything should be alright please"
There it was, at 3:00 am, a dreadful reply.