Chapter Ten

*7am Tuesday September 5th*

It's the first day of school and I am not ready. I turn off my alarm and roll out of bed. I shuffle down the hall to Carmen's room to wake her up. I open the door and see she is already up and dressed in a pink sundress and sandals. I stare at her and she smiles. "Morning Charlie," she says.

"Why are you up so early?" I ask.

"I could hardly sleep last night. I am so excited for the first day," she says and I stare. 

"Well, I will be ready in a little bit and then we can eat and go," I say and she gives me a thumbs up and I walk back to my room. I do my hair and makeup before getting dressed an walking downstairs. I see Carmen eating toast with mom reading something on her tablet. 

"Morning," says mom without looking up. 

"Morning," I mumble and nibble at a granola bar. My stomach twists and I fight to finish the rest of my breakfast. I haven't felt this nervous in a while. I find the keys and grab my backpack and hold my hand out to Carmen. She hops up excitedly and we get in the car and make our way to the Elementary school. I stop at the drop off zone and turn to face her.

"Are you coming in?" she asks and I shake my head.

"Mom already signed you up and everything. You have that slip of paper with your teacher's name and room number?" I ask.

"Yep," she says and she blinks a few times.

"Well then let's face the day," I say and pull her into a hug.

"Good luck," she whispers and I kiss the top of her head. 

"Good luck honey," I say and she gets out and makes her way to the building. I watch her until she is inside and then start driving to the high school. I find the brick building and park in what I guess is the student lot. I turn off the engine and get out. I look around and see a few clusters of students not wanting to yet walk inside the school. I lock my car and walk into the building. I find the office and get my schedule, locker and locker code. 

*8:15am*

"Do you want us to find you someone to show you around?" asks the secretary.

"Oh, no thank you," I say and go look for my locker. I find it and unload all of my binders and notebook except a few. I grab just a enough for my morning classes and then go in search of my homeroom. I find it after walking around and asking for directions a couple of times. This school is bigger than I thought it would be. I walk up to the teacher's desk and smile politely. 

"Hello, you must be Ms. Raymond. I am Mr. Jensen," says the teacher and I shake his hand. 

"Nice to meet you sir," I say and he hands me a textbook. I take it and find a seat near the middle of the room. Soon the bell rings and students start filing into the chem lab. 

"Welcome, welcome. My name is Mr. Jensen and I will be your College Government teacher," says Mr. Jensen. We start the school year off by reading from chapter one and taking notes. The bell rings about 45 minutes later signaling the end of class. I stand up and shove the textbook into my backpack and pull out my schedule and make my way to College English. I walk through the halls and am about to walk into my next class when I hear someone shout my name. I turn around and see Cole jogging my way. I wave and he smiles. 

"I have been looking for you, what did you have first period?" asks Cole. 

"I have Government," I say and he nods. 

"I have that fourth," he says and he walks around me and into the classroom. 

"Want to sit together?" I ask. He finds a table and pulls out my chair for me and I chuckle.