iii | Serpentine Trap

Jay was left in the subway alley to rot, tied in rope and forced to watch as the generals drove away.

Not only did he wish to contact his friends, but he wished he knew where Skales was going. Surely it had to be part of some master plan.

Of course, he didn't want to stay put. So he hopped forward in hopes of finding an escape somewhere.

Meanwhile, Cole was taking a nap against the wall of the city bank. He jumped when his boss stepped out of the sliding doors.

"Everything okay?"

"Ah! Nothing out of the ordinary, boss."

He sent him a warm smile. "Thanks for taking the double shift." And he walked back inside.

"My pleasure," Cole muttered under his breath. "And now... for a little beauty rest."

Assuming nothing was going to happen, he once again leaned against the brick wall and closed his eyes.

In just a few minutes, he was interrupted by the blaring alarms. Unfortunately, he didn't make it in time as the floor had already been burst through.

Though he did manage to hear the last bit of conversation that went on between the snakes.

"Let's take the subway!"

Cole leaned over the gaping hole, lost. "Subway?"

On a little piece of grass, Kai blew and popped a balloon as a handful of kids played around near the bouncy houses. He was so bored that he almost sprinted when hearing the police sirens pass by him.

"Trouble? Sounds like they need me."

As he started off with the balloons in his hand, the child's mother gripped his shoulder. "Not so fast! I still have you for another hour!"

"Uh, but the bank!" Kai pointed ahead. "People are in danger!"

"Not until my son is done playing!"

She failed to realize that the second she turned around, he had slipped the balloons into her hand. By the time she looked again, he was already yards away.

"Huh... you're fired!"

Not that it made a difference to him.

At the restaurant, Zane listened intently as his customers talked about the robbery.

"It's true, at the bank," a father began, "I hear they stole all that money, and no one's doing anything about it!"

Apparently he had listened too intently. The loud, sudden cries of the son kickstarted his brain as his mouth opened in surprise. He had accidentally placed a medium cooked egg on his head.

His parents gasped. Zane then flinched.

"I'm, I'm sorry!"

The chef was out in two seconds flat, not willing to hear an explanation one bit. "You're fired!"

Zane began stammering. "It must be my hard drive overheating!" It didn't help that the left side of his face began to peel, revealing all of the metals under. "I'm—never mind! I'm going!"