Chapter 9

"So...." I start, seeing if he wants to say anything before I begin my long story but, he doesn't so I continue.

"My mom met my father while hiking" I laugh to myself. "I mean now I know what he was really doing when they met, patrolling the wall. But anyway I guess my fathers mission, as a human, was to not only watch us and how we act around the wall but, to get involved with a um a mutant and find out everything about us. Obviously I don't know what the specific task was but he found my mom and they had John, Alice and I." Brian speaks up "Alice?" "Yeah. She was my..." "I know who she was I remember seeing her around your house when I came over. John said she graduated early and went to college." I laugh hesitantly. "John told people she went to college early, she barely finished her 10th year of learning" She barely finished her 10th year I repeat in my head.

"Anyway, my dad was always there for us acting like he cared, acting like that was the life he wanted to live until my 6th year of learning. John was in his 7th and Alice was in her 10th year. As you know John has strength as his um mutation and Alice had healing as hers. I'm not really sure how she ended up with two mutations but, I think it's because my mother is a mutant and my father is a human."

Obviously confused Brian asks "Two mutations? Alice had a double mutation?" I continue, "I didn't think it was possible anymore but yes... See not only could Alice mend a wound but, she could bring life to something that was dead. Apparently they're really dangerous or humans believe they are..." I pause, breathing in and out. I've been talking for a while and the sun is starting to go down. It's beautiful when the sun goes down over the wall.

"Roslyn?" Brian says, taking my hand once more in his. I look straight into his eyes as he looks straight into mine. His blue eyes are so mesmerizing I almost forget what we're talking about but, he reminds me. "Roslyn it's okay." He makes it so worth it to continue, so I do.

"Alice, John, my mom and I were all at home just having us time. We all thought that my father was at work, he'd said he'd be working late so we were just hanging out. We were going to tell him about Alice's mutation, we weren't keeping it a secret or anything. We were just fooling around..." My voice cracks and the images come flooding back. The blood, my moms screams... "Alice, she took a plant from the window sill that my mother had killed and left there, very typical of her. Alice healed the plant right there in front of us and...." I stutter. I can feel the tears coming on but, I fight them back. "My dad was.... he was standing by the door. We.... As fast as she got up and tried to explain he... he.... he just shot her. He pulled a gun out and.... an..." As hard as I tried to fight the tears back, I cried.

Brian rubbed the small of my back and circles but stopped a loud bang that came from the wall.

"What the hell...?" Brian and I get up and walk towards the edge of the cliff. We see where the noise came from, a bomb maybe. Part of the wall has been knocked down but, not just is it knocked down but the rubble from the wall is on the inside... Someone blew it up from the outside... "Humans." Brian whispers. A bunch of humans come flooding in, they're armed. Some of them stay back and guard the wall while the others proceed on inward to the city. "We need to go Roslyn. Now." He states more firmly.

We run back to the his truck and drive home. As soon as Brian pulls into my driveway I get out of the truck and run to the house. I get to the door and it swings open, John is stands there with a more than angry face.

"What the hell did he do?!" He screams. "John! He's back." John stops mid step on his way to Brian and looks dead at me. He looks scared. I'm sure I do to. "Get in the house." He orders. We get into the house and John and I start locking all the windows and doors. "Where's mom?" I ask. "Still sleeping. I'll go get her up." I finish locking the last window and turn to find a very confused Brian. I walk over to him and grab his hand. I lead him to my room and let go of his hand.