Deadly Lies - Chapter 2

Yaeh, I know it's been long. I have a ton of excuses. First, school takes a lot of my time. Second, soccer also does, third, we've had a celebration day (or two) here in Finland, so I was busy...

Sorry sorry sorry!

Can't promise a new upload too soon but I'll try!!

Love you all!!

<33333 Anna(banana)

Chapter 2

"Cassidy? Is that you?"

Finnick's soft voice comes from between the rocks. Damn.

And here I thought I'd finally get to have some peace and quiet.

Apparently not.

I sigh, and turn around a few rocks to see him rising from his position on the ground.

"Yeah, it's me."

"Come here, I need to talk to you," he says, and leads the way through the cluster of rocks to a small cave-like opening in the cliff. We sit, and he turns to look at me.

His eyes study my face, and I wonder what the matter is. The silence is uncomfortable, and I'm about to break it, when he asks,

"You know I love Annie, right, and that she loves me?"

Startled, I nod.

"And you know we're not married?"

I nod again, confused.

"And you know about my reputation." It's not a question, it's a statement.

Of course I do. Finnick has many rich lovers in the Capitol, and I don't really know why. I've always thought he's just that kind of person, but after spending some time with him, Evan, and Lydya, I know that's not the case.

"Anybody who lives in Panem hears the rumours, Finnick."

He nods slowly.

"What's your point?"

He looks uncertain. "Well, you love Evan, right?"

"Yeah," I say, wondering what that has to do with anything.

"I don't want neither you nor Evan ending up like me, and so many other victors."

"Like you? Care to elaborate?" I'm confused, but keeping light tones always makes it easier to talk to Finnick.

"Cassie, Snow is not a saint." His voice is deadpan. Serious.

I laugh bitterly. "I've noticed."

"He forces us popular victors to do things, you know, threatening to kill our loved ones and families. That's why I do what I do, to keep Annie alive." He takes a deep breath, and tells his story.

I'm shocked at first, though I know this is exactly something Snow would do. When I realize how serious the matter is, I listen actively.

"So... What you're saying is, that he'll force me, and Evan, too?" I ask once he's finished.

Finnick nods. "Yes. You will never be able to marry who you like, never be with who you like. You will be forced to obey Snow, or your sisters and brothers will be gone before the morning light."

"And why do I have a feeling that you're not only telling me this to prepare me for what my future will be like?"

"Because I don't. Good intuition, Blossom." He grins. I smile and lean against the rough, warm stone of the cliff.