Keep Yourself Open

It was the first day they'd had off in what felt like forever. But really, Evie knew it had only been a week or so.

They were in Allentown, Pennsylvania. Close to home, but not close enough that she'd be able to stay in her own bed tonight. That would have to wait until tomorrow. But she was already so excited to have the little bit of a break at home, the little bit of time with her mother.

"Aunt Charlene wants to come to the show tomorrow, too. I told her that wouldn't be a problem," her mother said over the phone.

"No, that's fine. Is she going to bring Keith?" Evie asked, making a mental note to put both their names on the guest list for tomorrow's show in New York City.

"I don't think so. He's bogged down with work and studying for the MCAT. He sends his love, though."

"Aww, okay," she said, thinking about her cousin and all of the times he'd made her laugh, and brought her right back down to earth when she'd gotten too worked up about one thing or another. "And I'm guessing Uncle Charlie won't be coming?"

Her mother laughed. "You know that man is in bed by 8 o'clock. He'll see you at breakfast the next morning."

Evie giggled, too. "Okay."

"So, what have you been doing with yourself today? Are you resting?" Her mother asked the question like she was expecting a certain answer, and would be very upset if she didn't receive it.

Evie looked around the hotel room she'd slept in last night, stretching her legs under the sheets where she lay tucked into her bed. She hadn't gotten up yet, and it was after ten. "You bet I am," she said, groaning after a particularly delicious stretch. "I haven't moved from my bed all day."

"Good," her mother said. "You need it, baby. All those long days of traveling, and all those long nights working... you deserve it."

Evie couldn't help but agree.

"Is that boy cooperating with you more, now?" Evie could hear the latent hostility in her mother's voice. "I've been eager to meet him, you know." And she could hear the quiet threat beneath those words.

She'd told her mother all about Jamie in moments of intense frustration with him, after long nights spent worrying about his whereabouts and well-being, and after their heated confrontations. She'd also told her mother that she had a handle on him, even though her mom was concerned that Evie was being taken advantage of, that Jamie was the kind of person who didn't respect a woman's opinion. Evie had assured her again and again that it wasn't just her he'd treated like shit—it was everyone, bandmates included. But being the overprotective mother that Brenda Porter always was, she couldn't seem to help feeling defensive about Evie over the whole situation.

Evie knew it was partly her fault. She'd only ever spoken of Jamie in negative terms. She hadn't explained what he was reallylike, the guy she was getting to know on overnight rides in the quiet darkness of the front lounge, when everyone else was sleeping. She hadn't told her mother that his smile—when he chose to smile—was warm. That his thoughts—when he chose to express them—were intelligent. That his heart—when he chose to open it—was kind.

"He's been fine, Momma. Better than fine. I think he's really starting to open up to me."

"Hm," her mother grumbled.

Evie had to laugh. "Don't go all momma bear on him tomorrow, okay? You'll only make it bad again. I don't want him to start reverting now."

"If you say so," her mother said. "How's the other one? Luke? Anything happening there?"