Mia

"You seem tired," Henry said, snapping Jamie out of his daze.

He'd been preoccupied watching the dashes of white lines on the highway before them disappear beneath the bus—preoccupied recalling the way things between Evie and Luke had most certainly changed these last couple of days.

And it wasn't that they were packing on the public displays of affection or that they couldn't keep their hands off each other. Jamie would almost rather that at this point, but no. It was the look in their eyes now when they saw each other—like they were seeing something nobody else could see. Like something between them had shifted so profoundly that they had to keep looking at each other to make sure that it was all still real.

Jamie felt sick just thinking about it.

"M'fine," Jamie said, sitting up and downing the rest of his coffee in two big gulps.

Henry was quiet for a few moments. "If you say so."

It was their last night on this bus. Their last night traveling before they left for Europe, where they would trade in a tour bus for nights spent on planes and trains, the occasional bus sprinkled in between. And it was their last night with Henry. So Jamie made good use of his insomnia, as he had so many nights before, and fixed Henry a cup of coffee just the way he liked it.

"You excited for Europe?" Henry asked then.

"Yeah," Jamie said, trying to sound enthusiastic. "Should be fun."

"Wish I was coming with you all," Henry said, and Jamie looked over at him, already sad that the wouldn't be seeing Henry every day anymore.

"Who's gonna tell me about all the countries and what they have to offer?" Jamie joked.

Henry smiled, glanced over at Jamie and back at the road as he started to chuckle. "You're gonna have to rely on Google, my friend. And pretty sure it doesn't have my charm."

"It definitely doesn't," Jamie said, smiling now himself. "Nor does it have that manly beard."

Henry's whole body shook with his laughter, and he reached a hand up to run it over his scruffy cheeks. "What are you going to do without me?"

"Only time will tell," Jamie said, laughing along with his friend. He would miss Henry. He'd miss the way Henry was only there to drive, not to insert himself into anyone else's business. Would miss the way Henry never asked him questions he didn't want to answer. And the way he was the only person who still treated Jamie like he was a person, and not an obstacle to be overcome.

When Jamie went quiet again, when thoughts of Evie and Luke together filled his mind once more, Henry cleared his throat.

"As much as I'm enjoying the long bouts of silence, I think it's probably time you get some sleep," he said. "It's 4:30."

Jamie glanced down at the clock on the dash, surprised to find that Henry was right. "You trying to get rid of me?"

"You caught me," Henry said, grinning again. "Get some rest, Jamie. I'll see you in a couple hours."

Jamie stood up, wishing he really did feel tired, wishing he had something to help him sleep, anything to keep his mind from racing. And as he headed to the back of the bus, sliding the door that led to the bunks open as quietly as he could, he knew that would be impossible.

Pete was snoring softly in his bunk just to Jamie's left. Luke and Greg's curtains were closed, but he could hear the sounds of their long, steady breaths if he listened carefully. And Evie—her curtain was closed, too. Just across from where his remained open, inviting him into bed and into the next few hours of quiet torture.