Chapter 3

Chapter 3

The sun was shining through the blinds and lit up the whole room. I turned to see Sarah still sleeping, taking up more then half of my bed. I get up and stretch, and walk over to the window. My parents went to work already. It was 10:12am, I slept in longer then usual. I decided not to wake Sarah up. I walk to the kitchen and began to make waffles, then the phone rang. I rushed to the phone.

" Hello"

" hello is this Loryn" the voice was a man he sounded young but not younger then me.

" no this is Rebecca, Loryns at work but I can take a message."

" nah I have to tell her this in person ... Is this her daughter." I smiled even though I knew he couldn't see me.

" ya and who is this"

" haha this is Jay"

" jay?" I don't recognize the name.

" ya your moms friend. You have to be like 14, 15 now right." I don't know this person but he seems to no me.

" ughh... I'm 16. I'm I suppose to know who you are?" Then suddenly the line went dead. " hello... Hello" I hung up the phone. That was weird.

Sarah walked into the kitchen.

" who was on the phone" she asked.

" just one of my moms friends" I shrug.

" ohhhh food, did you make me any"

" ya" I grab a waffle and place it on a plate. "Are you going to go look for hackles again."

" of course, but you don't have to go this time."

" we'll I have no plans. Might as well do something." We ate our waffles in silence. When I finished I put some lazy clothes on. " you ready" I asked Sarah.

" yep let's go"

We look for her dog for at least 2 hours, going around town asking people if they've seen her but no one has. We have no idea where she is. " Sarah I'm tired, well look again later okay" her eyes got watery.

" ya okay" she was about to cry, but who wouldn't. Hackles was her best friend. I felt the guilt inside me.

I walked home alone. As I was walking down the same street we got chased on last night I get shivers down my spine. Sarah never showed me where Harry lived. My moms car was parked in the drive way.

" hey mom, your home early"

" ya I'm meeting someone"

" who?"

" this guy i work with we just need to figure out what's going on with this patient at work." She was pacing back and forth In the kitchen, sipping her coffee now and then.

" ima watch tv" I sit on the couch and turn the tv on. It was on the csi crime channel.

After about 10mins there is a knock on the door. My mom rushed to the door and fixed her hair before she actually opened it. Forcing a smile on her face she hugs a tall handsome guy. Workers aren't usually that friendly, are they?

" this is my daughter Rebecca." My mom points me out. I turn and see that he looks like 18 or 19. He has dark brown hair. He looked about 5 foot 9 or so.

" yes I believe we already met" he smiles.

" we did?" I asked

" ya, I'm jay. The one on the phone"

" oh ya the one that hung up on me, i remember." I did a fake smile and went back to watching tv.

" I didn't hang up, we must of lost connection because I thought you hung up" I ignored him. I guess that was mean.

" Rebecca Marie Hamilton, look at him when he's talking to you" my mom yelled. " I'm sorry, she's not usually like this" what I think my mom meant to say is that ' sorry, she's always like this '.

I turn and face him, his blue eyes shine bright in this lighting. Then he looks away.

" we better get to work". He says.

" your right, Rebecca can you go up to your room we kind of need to talk in private. "

" why do you need to talk in private"

" this is confidential information, we are not suppose to be discussing this stuff in public."

" then why are you "

" just go to your room" my mom commanded. I got up and went into my bedroom. What could they be talking about that is so important that I couldn't even hear.

After an hour in my room I tip toed to the living room to see if they were still talking. They were. I listened in.

" we need to get our story straightened out" jay said

" I know and when we do ill tell her but for now I think it's best if we just kept this to ourselves."

" when is your husband coming home"

My mom looked at her watch.

" in a half- an- hour or so"

" we'll I better go, can I talk to Rebecca before I leave."

" yes of course" jay got up from his chair and stretched out. I quickly but quietly ran back to my room. Why does he want to talk to me? I fix my hair, jump on my bed and grab my cell phone to look like I've been on it the whole time. Then comes a knock.

" come in"

Jay opens the door and then shuts it behind him. He is really cute. I should have made a better first impression.

" hey, sorry about you having to leave"

" you can sit" I patted on my bed next to where I was sitting. Did I really just do that. Ask him to sit by me. He smiled and sat close to me.

" you act like you know me, but I don't know you" I say.

" we use to hang out when we where little." He got all red.

" oh sorry, I don't remember." Our knees are touching and neither of us move them.

" ha I remember when you were climbing a tree and you were wearing your summer dress and then a branch got caught and ripped it and you cried for the rest of the day." I smiled. " you don't remember"

" nope"

He started staring at me and then slowly licked his lips.

" we'll I better go" he patted my thigh and got up.

" wait" I grabbed is hand. " how old are you?".

You might have pictured it to be one of those dramatic last questions before he left like " wait, who are you" nope. It was a awkward situation. I grabbed his hand to ask a stupid question that I could have got the answer from my mom but honestly I just didn't want him to leave. Not yet.

" 18 " he stood there awhile maybe expecting another question. I let go of his hand. And he left.