Chapter 4- The Suggestion

"Yea, make yourself at home, do whatever you want," I say as I flop backwards onto my bed.

I watch as Luke slowly walks around my room, picking up random objects and putting them back and looking at the picture frames that cover my dresser. He lingers on a particular one, his eyebrows furrowed, his bottom lip between his teeth. The moment my eyes land on the picture he's holding, I spring from my bed and rip it from his hands. Luke's mouth forms a frown, then he turns away from me and moves to the bed.

"I'm sorry. This picture is just kind of... personal," I allow my fingers to graze over the glass that shields the picture. A younger Leah sits at the kitchen table, a birthday cake in front of her. My mom stands off to my left, bent down and smiling at me. I remember this day all too well. It's not as painful a memory as it use to be.

"I get it, don't worry. Though, you could explain it to me if you would like? Might make you feel better," He shrugs. That seems like worst suggestion ever, yet I find myself sitting next to him on the bed, the picture still in my hands.

"I never really had a lot of friends. It was something I just didn't care about. I was so angry with the world for the position our family was in. My tenth birthday I decided not to invite anyone. Since we never had much money I didn't get any presents, but my mom did bake me a cake. I tried so hard to convince her I was happy with it, but I think she could tell I wasn't. She set up the camera and snapped a couple pictures. When she got them developed and saw my face, she threw them away. I got this one back out because I love her smile," Luke gently lays his hand over mine and smiles.

"That's really sweet, Leah. It's pretty obvious how much you love your mom,"

"I mean, she's done everything for me. Since my dad was never around my mom had to do all the heavy lifting. I can't imagine how hard it must have been for her, so I've tried to make up for it as much as possible,"

"Wait, your dad wasn't around?" I find it pretty funny that out of everything I've said, Luke chooses to focus on that.

"Yea, he left when he found out my mom was pregnant. Now that I think about it, that's probably the reason she's always had a problem with me being around guys. You know, doesn't want me to get hurt in the same way, motherly instincts. That's why I was so scared to bring you here, actually. The last thing I want to do is upset her,"

"That makes sense. I'm sorry your dad ran out on you and your mom. I hate guys like that,"

"It's fine, it's in the past. Now, I think I've done enough talking, your turn," I eagerly sit forward, my head resting in my hands, and Luke lets out a loud, beautiful laugh that I wish I could play on repeat.

"I'm not sure there's really all that much to tell. Australia got kind of boring, so I came here. Now, don't get me wrong, it's a beautiful place, but after living there for seventeen years, it just got old. I'm staying with my uncle, his name is Jeff. He's kind of lame, but he doesn't have too many rules, so I guess it's not that bad. I'm like you in the sense that I don't really care for people. My family always called me anti-social, but I'd rather be anti-social then deal with a bunch of rude, hypocritical people," I nod my head slowly, thinking about and processing all of this.

"So, you just decided to push that hatred for people aside and walk into a women's bathroom to save the damsel in distress?" I end up in a bit of a giggling fit at the thought. Luke just smiles and shakes his head.

"Girls aren't so bad. I can handle certain ones, certain kinds," He smirks slightly, clearly trying to get a reaction out of me.

"Really, certain kinds? What kinds, then?" I decide to play along, why not?

"The innocent ones," Luke says, barely above a whisper, but just loud enough for me to hear. It makes something in my stomach turn, but I force myself to stay emotionless.

"Ok, you're weird and I don't even know why I'm talking to you," Laying back on my bed, I stare up at the ceiling, momentarily lost in my thoughts.

"Let's say you were the innocent kind and I liked that, how would you feel?" Bolting straight up, I come face to face with Luke, his eyebrows raised as he waits for my response.

"Let's say I'm not innocent, what then?"

"Stupid question, cause I know you are. I can see it in the the way you carry yourself," Ok, he might be better than I thought.

"Alright, fine, but what are you suggesting?"

"I could change that," And suddenly, my skin tingles and a chorus of butterflies float around in my stomach.

"Are you going to rape me?"

"It won't be considered rape if you say yes?" I can't help myself when I bust out laughing. It's impossible to stay serious around this stupid, smiley boy.

"You know, I'm kind of concerned. You seem to have at least three different personalities,"

"What do you mean?" Luke looks hurt and I find myself scrambling to find the right words to say.

"There's the Luke that helps crying girls, the giggly, funny, cute Luke, and the perverted Luke. I guess the thing I'm trying to get at really is that you're different than I thought you would be, but I find all of this kind of funny. You're suggesting this when we met, like, two days ago and we don't even know each other,"

"That's the thing, we would be getting to know each other at the same time. Trust me, it's a good idea," I just nod along, because I'm not really sure what else to do.

"So, is that a yes?"

"Nah, why do the nasty when you can have food instead?" I lightly push him back by his shoulders and race towards the kitchen.

Unfortunately, I know avoiding the situation won't work forever.

(hey guyssss. i know this one isnt that great, bear with me, im getting there. thank you for reading and please dont forget to vote and comment! (: -tabby)