chapter 4 the reaping

one week later Prim's pov

Not everything happens twice I learned that last week.the week that almost killed my mom from shock. Even though I shifted a year early ive gotten stronger, faster and more athletic than before, just because I already shifted doesnt mean that I don't train. Ever since the announcement Alpha Gale had me,PJ, Ashe, and Daniel training in case any of us gets picked.Well today is the day we all have been dreading the reaping day.

  Im dressed in a light blue knee length dress that has a thin, white gold belt, and a darker color of blue ballet flats.My hair is down in natural wavy/curly hair style. Its five minutes til the reapings  began so we go ahead towards the square where the reaping will be held, I'll admit I am scared to the point that I want to pass out.

When we get to the square, after we get our blood took to sign in, we wait until Effie Trinket, the mayor, and my parents to walk up to the stage and take their seats. Grandpa Haymitch is in the hospital because he was a drunk before I was born, but afterwards he En stopped because he wanted to watch me and my brother grow up and have kids of our own.

"Welcome, welcome, welcome. Happy Hunger Games. And may the odds be ever in your favor. Niw before we begin, we have a very special film. Brought to you all the way from The Capitol."she ques for the film to begin and when the video starts I'm shocked to see what the rebellion, that started the Hunger Games, have caused.

" War. Terrible war. Widows, orphans, a motherless child. This was the uprising that rocked our land. Thirteen districts rebelled against the country that fed them, loved them, protected them. Brother turned on brother until nothing remained. And then came the peace, hard fought, sorely won. A people rose up from the ashes, and a new era was born. But freedom has a cost. And the traitors were defeated. We swore as a nation we would never know this treason again. And so it was decreed that each year the various districts of Panem would offer up, in tribute, one young man and woman to fight to the death in a pageant of honor, courage, and sacrifice. The lone victor, bathed in riches, would serve as a reminder of our generosity and our forgiveness. This is how we remember our past. This is how we safeguard our future." the film ends and Effie walks up to the bowl that has the girls name in it. I hold my breath as she picks one and walks back to the microphone.  Not me. Lord please not me.

"Christiana Bancroft," Ok as long that no one from the pack gets picked we'll be ok, Gale sends over the pack link even the little pups (I taught them to be on the pack link without shifting. It help wonders) hear it.

But I swear that the next nam is not ine that I expected.

"Ashe Hawthorne,"

I think I'm going to die