0.1

"alright, sport, we made it." i can hear my dad emerging from his car alongside his fiancé just down the driveway. i myself was a pile of numb limbs and a crooked beanie, my car smelled like beef jerky and the cool night air felt amazing on my skin. we'd completed a fourteen hour drive across eight hundred miles and for some reason, i was wide awake.

"i think the boys are still up," his fiancé utters. she's got a hand on my shoulder now, reaching into my backseat to grab my suitcase. "if they aren't, you can take them to school tomorrow."

i give a half nod and grab my duffle bag, slinging it over my shoulder and making sure my car was locked. my dad's eyes caught mine and he gave me a wide smile. i'd already visited here before, i knew where everything was but this time, it was permanent. i wasn't on a five day temporary trip this time.

the three of us head inside, immediately entering the kitchen which attached to the livingroom. my dad's room was off to the left and the boys and i's rooms were straight ahead. i entered jack's old room and a waft of axe spray overwhelmed me.

"ah, shit," i mumble, my eyes scanning over the dirty, clothes covered floor. the typical racecar posters and football plaques covered the nasty blue walls. "this kid can't clean for shit."

but, i wasn't to be bothered with it. i threw my things on the floor, my dad's fiancé dropped in my suitcase as well.

"luke?" my dad appeared in the doorway as i searched among my sweaters for some pajamas. "we have to get up early and register you for school tomorrow so you can start and get caught up. i'll wake you up about seven." i nodded in agreement before i was left alone.

was this really my life now? a shitty little blue room in the middle of a shithole town, eight hundred goddamn miles from home?