Chapter 9

Dani. He said Dani! Wait, what if he said Dan? I look over at Dan and find him glaring at me. That means he said Dani. Oh my God he said Dani!

I can't stop the huge grin that covered my face. I was on the team!

"Alright I didn't have anything planned for practice so you all can go. Practice tomorrow after school bring running shoes. Oh and Dani I need to speak to you" Coach Owen says.

As everyone leaves I walk over to him trying to mentally prepare myself for whatever he has to say. Maybe he's going to say that I really wasn't on the team and he was playing a joke on me. Or maybe I'm just a water girl. Whatever it is, I'm prepared.

Or so I thought.

"Look kid," he begins. "I'm going to be honest with you. I like your spunk. The fact that you had the guts to try out for this team shows both confidence and bravery. But I won't lie, that isn't what will get you a starting position. You are going to have to fight for that. I'm not trying to put you down, but it's true that boys can be stronger and more physical on the field just because they are bigger. Some players might purposely push you around and try to get in your head. But if you bring out your confidence on the field, then you can manage it. Are you up for this?"

I look at him, initially shocked from this new side of him, but smile. "Definitely, Coach. I'm ready."

"Good." He nods. "Be prepared to work hard tomorrow at practice. Prove yourself to these boys that you deserve to be here." With that he leaves me alone in my thoughts.

After standing stunned for a moment, I pick up my bag and giddily start walking to the parking lot. I definitely did not see this coming, especially from Coach Owen of all people. Who would have thought that he actually cared about me and wanted me to do good?

When I reach the parking lot I see that Josh and Tanner have waited for me. I surprise myself by getting in the truck. They seem just as surprised as me to see I've joined them. However, just because I'm with them doesn't mean I have to tell them everything right?

"Uh wow good to see you Dani? We didn't actually think you'd get in the car-"

"What did Coach say Dani?" Josh cuts Tanner off, looking at me from the mirror.

I shift around under his gaze. "Nothing you need to know. You can start driving you know. I don't have all day let's get a move on."

"Just say it."

"Just drive!"

Josh sighs and reluctantly starts driving home. "Just tell us. Look we know what kind of person he is and whatever he said couldn't have been too bad. We can help you get through to him."

"Unbelievable. Unbelievable! You still think he's putting me down because I'm a girl and that I'm not good enough. Well to let you know Coach Owen actually believes in me unlike you two assholes! He knows that I am good enough for this so maybe you should too!" With one last final glare into the rear view mirror, I end the conversation. I turn away from them and look out the window, trying to blow off some steam. Josh will never get it through his thick skull that I am a good- no great soccer player and that I deserve to be on this team just as much as him.

I jump out of the track, slamming the door and heading into the house. I turn to see them talking but don't stay to find out what it's about. I grab a snack from the kitchen and go up to my room, locking it to avoid any confrontation.

That day I learned many new things. For example, I learned that Coach Owen isn't as bad of a guy as he is made out to be, my friend and brother are still major douchebags, and makeup remover really stings when you get it in your eye. All in all, this day just made me even more prepared for tomorrow.