76) Howe

"There is no such thing as common sense. It's not common because everyone is different, and everyone has different life experiences. ... Many people just don't have any frame of reference or experience when it comes to understanding the Islands and our environment." 

-  Jim Howe

•♦•

I don't fully agree with this quote, but it's the best quote I could find about common sense. I do think common sense is a thing, but it can vary widely between different communities and cultures and can vary slightly even in those circles.Despite that, I do think this is a phrase that can be used, just not in some of the ways that assume everyone in the world has the same frame of reference.

My dad and his friend always say, "Common sense isn't as common as you think." That never really sat well with me. Recently I read a manga called A Certain Magical Index where this topic was brought up. One of the characters assumed the other would know about the public school format, and didn't bother explaining how it worked. But the other character had never been exposed to public school whatsoever. They began throwing it in their face by spitting out a bunch of magical knowledge that very few would know, and saying, "But of course you know that, right? It's common sense."

The point of this spiel is that common sense can vary, but still be common. All common sense means is that it's information that seems to come naturally to you, information that you're used to.