Chapter 2: Costumes

Come one, come all! To the annual Halloween party at Blue jay Park. It's this Friday. Only 1 day away, no time to waste! Go get your costumes if you haven't already!

   Said the poster on the tree.

   "Hey, do you guys want to go to this thing?" Carter asked.

   "Sure, As long as it doesn't interfere with trick or treating" I said

   They looked at me with raised eyebrows."aren't we a little old for trick or treating?" Kole said.

  "You're never too old to go around getting free candy in cool outfits" I argued.

  I could tell they were thinking about it. Eventually they shrugged and agreed.

   "The party's the day before Halloween, so we're good." Carter said.

   "Hey, the costume store is right around the corner, we should look there for costumes." Mads said.

"Yeah." Carter said.

   When we walked through the door it was like heaven for horror fans. Which is all of us. It's bigger than most stores. In fact, it's huge!

"Wow, where should we go first? Carter said in awe.

"I don't know, but we could spend all night in here, and it still wouldn't be enough." I said with a smile.

   We all looked at each other mischievously.

"Are you guys thinking what I'm thinking?" Kole said with a grin.

"Yes." We all said in unison.

"Should we do it tonight?" Mads asked.

"No, we should do it after school tomorrow." I said. "Then we won't have to wake up early the next day."

"But the party's tomorrow." Carter said.

"So we'll leave a little early, the store's open till 11:30. We can find our hiding spots today." I responded.

We were planning how we could stay overnight in the store, like one of those "24 hour challenges" on YouTube, while we were looking for costumes.

We decided we were too distracted doing both, so we focused on finding costumes first.

"Star Wars!" I yelled

Everyone jumped.

"What?" Mads asked with a confused look.

I started running towards the Star Wars costumes and my friends leisurely walked behind me.

"Who should I be?" I asked excitedly.

"I don't know, Rey. You kinda look like her." Carter said.

I started looking through the costumes and none were in my size.

"Noooooo!" I yelled falling to my knees dramatically.

We all started laughing.

Since my Star Wars dreams were crushed we kept looking. After hours of just messing around looking for hiding spots for our overnight stay, we gave up and decided to make our own costumes. We were going to be Alice in wonderland themed.

-

"I call dibs on the mad hatter!" I called raising my hand.

"Aww" Carter and Mads wined

I responded with a smug smile.

"Guess that makes me Alice" Mads said grumpily.

"I'll be the cat." Kole said relaxing on the sofa.

"WHAT! I am not going to be the bunny!" Carter yelled. "Why can't you be the bunny, you're a girl?" He asked, gesturing to me.

"Because I'm the mad hatter, and the bunny is a boy."

"Well then you be the bunny Mads." He said.

"Sure, you wanna be Alice?" Mads said, killing his dreams.

"I have faith in you. You can make it work." Kole said patting him on back.

We were now at what we like to call our 2nd home. It's Carter's tree house. It's so cool. There's nice seating arrangements, and Mads has a bunch of tech stuff up here, since his parents never come up. Mads is such a tech nerd.

   "Whatcha doing Mads?" Carter asked.

   "Nothing." She said distractedly.

   "Doesn't look like nothing." I said curiously, lying upside down with my feet propped up on the back of the couch.

   Kole looked closer at her screen and squinted. "Are you hacking into the neighbor's wifi?" He said looking at her.

   "Yep." She said.

   "I'm pretty sure that's illegal." I said jokingly, but kinda not.

   "You better not get me arrested." Carter said squinting at what was on Mads' laptop.

   "You're fine. If anything your parents would get arrested." She said, still typing away.

   "Oh, great." Carter said sarcastically.

Mads chuckled. "Relax, they won't even know."

"Guys, we should really get to work on our costumes, if we don't want to be up all night." I said.

"Yeah." Mads said, closing her laptop. "By the way, now you have free wifi."

   "Sweet."

"So, we get what we need from our houses then come back here?" Kole asked to confirm.

"Yeah." Carter said.

We all left, did what we needed to do, then came back. We all had clothes and stuff we could use for our costumes.

Within an hour we had already finished our costumes. Kole's consisted of a purple and pink shirt, black jeans, cat ears, and makeup he depended on me and Mads for. I don't know why though, We don't even wear makeup. Carter's was a white shirt with white pants, and a cute little cotton tail, paired with some bunny ears. He'll be wearing makeup too, he just doesn't know it yet. Mads doesn't really wear dresses much, so she just went out and bought the Alice costume. I had maroon pants, a colorful striped button up shirt- that I'm not even sure why I have-, a black vest, and of course a hat that I tide a ribbon around. We were ready.

------------------------------------------------------

Hey! I did some foreshadowing in this chapter. Things will keep getting more and more exciting in chapters to come. Thanks for coming back.

See ya.