Chapter 1 part 10

The king was proud of his son's ambition. Lilian, however, was another story. His Majesty saw her just once—at the wedding—and realized that his first wife, Imogene, could have been worse. At the very least, he could take her to bed without shuddering.

Lilian was dim-witted and overweight. The king couldn't think of any other way to put it. He quietly held out hope that she would die in childbirth or that Jess would find a lover, as he had found Jessie. His son had already seduced half of the women at court, and the king felt that the love of a good woman would settle him down. It was about time.

Speak of the devil...The king's musings were interrupted as the door to his chambers creaked.

"Is that you, Jess?"

"Yes." The man stepped from the shadows into the light.

Edward pointed to a chair. "So, you've returned."

"I have, Your Majesty. I am prepared to give all my attention to government affairs."

"Jess, I don't like it when you use that title with me."

"All right, Uncle Ed."

To the world, the Earl of Earton was the king's nephew by his second marriage, and the king preferred to hear his own son call him "Uncle Ed" instead of "Your Majesty."

The young man's face took on a roguish expression. The king shook his head. "Forget the government. I wish you'd pay some attention to your family."

"Government affairs happen to be my family affairs," the young man answered impudently.

"How wrong you are. The government's business concerns me alone," Edward grumbled. "Stop avoiding the subject. You should have given me at least a pair of nephews by now."

"One may be on the way." Jess sighed. Then his voice scaled up a notch. "I can't do it, Uncle! Just look at her. She's stupid, she throws fits all the time, and she's ugly! If you saw her in a dream, you'd die in your sleep. You wouldn't touch her with a barge pole!"

"No one's asking you to fall in love with her. Just give her a baby, that's all. You can cover her face with a handkerchief during the act if you like."

"Or hold a pillow over her face," Jess spit out. "I'm telling you; she's pregnant already."

"How many months?"

Jess thought for a minute. "About three months. Or four."

"Will you bring her to court after the birth?"

Jess made a face. "I'm sorry, Uncle, but I'd rather not."

"Think about it. You won't have to see her often, and..."

"No. She can stay in Earton, so I don't have to see her ever. I sent her a physician and some money. That's more than enough!"

Edward shook his head. He had given up trying to raise his son. The boy was already a man, and the king had problems of his own. "What other news is there?"

"I have some reports from the boatyard. We can build very good boats using the drawings we borrowed from Fereiry. The shipwrights want to build one as a trial to see how it turns out."

"And you agree with them?"

"Of course! August is curious to see the result, as well. I've brought the drawings to show you. Would you like to take a look?"

"I have some reports from the treasury to go over. Do you have any idea how much they stole this month?"

"I don't. I want to build the boat using my own money. It will have two decks, with—"

"Tell me about it later. Have you seen Richard?"

"Not yet. Should I?"

"Yes. I have decided it is time for him to marry. Keep an eye on him. Make sure he doesn't do anything scandalous in the meantime. Is that clear?"

Jess grinned. Edward's heart skipped a beat. How he looks like his mother!

"Of course, Uncle. I'll watch him. Who is he going to marry?"

"Marry? I don't know. There are two princesses that I know of who are the right age. It will be either Anna of Wellster or Lidia of Ivernea."

"But—"

"Both girls' families want to be chosen. The Wellsters have five other daughters, so they'd like to get rid of one. Anna is the right age, and my contacts tell me she is attractive."

"That's good. At least Richard wouldn't need a handkerchief in order to sleep with her. What about Lidia?"

"She's the only unmarried daughter in Ivernea. She's never been married or even engaged. They say she's plain as a wool sock."

"That bad?"

"Anna is certainly the more handsome of the two."

"Then why not choose Anna?"

"Beauty isn't everything. And I want Richard to have a choice; I was never allowed to choose."

"You made your choice later," Jess winked. "I think you did the right thing. My aunt was still beautiful at forty."

"Like I said, beauty isn't everything. Jessie was kind and intelligent. Those are much more important qualities in a wife."

Jess's face fell. Then he shook himself and smiled again. "I'm no king, so my wife can have as many children as she wants. I'll find kindness and intelligence somewhere else. They say Lady Wells has returned. She needs someone to console her after the death of her old, awful husband."

Edward shook his head. "How is your daughter?"

Jerrison's face lit up with a smile. "Miranda is sharp as a tack. Her teachers are pleased with her. But I can't take her with me."

"Send her to the country."

"To be with Lilian?"

"Do you have another choice? Send governesses and nannies with her. People you trust."

"I may have to do that."

"What if you send her to your sister?"

"There's no point trying. You should have seen how Miranda screamed and cried after her last visit. She refuses to see Amalia, and I haven't the slightest idea why."

"Fine. You'll figure out what to do with her. Give it some thought. Now, leave me those drawings and run off. Just don't let Richard get into trouble. Is that understood?"

"Yes, Your Majesty," Jess replied. He gave a military salute and disappeared out the door.

The king shook his head as he watched him go. Good-for-nothing pup. Nobody could claim that the young man was especially talented. He didn't win all his games of squares, he didn't command the best regiment in Ativerna, and he didn't get up extra early to get a jump on his affairs. He didn't have a hard body with muscles of steel under his courtly clothing, and he probably wasn't prepared to give his life for his country and his brother.

No, Jess was just a typical courtier. He liked to play with expensive toys and gilded weapons. He was just like all the rest of them. None the less, Edward thought that he and Jessie had made a wonderful child. Perfect in every way.

His Majesty sighed and turned back to the Treasury reports. He knew his duty.

Wool sock—local slang for an old maid

A local variation of chess.

Buy the full book on Amazon: https://amzn.to/2SnmD4U

Read for FREE on Kindle Unlimited
If you like my book then please join my Facebook page: https://goo.gl/2URgxU