Chapter 2: Thauden University

The eyes are blind to secrets that can't be visually sighted

"Lynjames, tell me a secret behind this university. " Our 50 year old teacher asked. Her white hair pulled into a bun, her blue cardigan almost covering her floral blouse completely and her pants were plain black slacks.

John stood and eyed the teacher. "Yes ma'am," he answered. "This was a refuge." he added.

"That's right" Ma'am marly nodded with approval. "Refuge from what?"

"Not what but who. They were hiding from enraged ghosts. These ghosts tried to kill every person they see." I flinched, hearing John's words.

"Uhm, John, this is a refuge but it is not a refuge from ghosts," Ma'am Marly said with her taunting voice.

The whole class laughed out loud – but I didn't. My mind was full of thoughts. I saw Riza and Zach show a disinterested face. Do they know? Is it true?

Who exactly is John Lynjames?

John's Point of View

I stood on the edge of the parking lot of the University of Secrets. I inhaled and exhaled slowly. Suddenly, the 5 buildings of Thauden University, seemed to melt before me. Time slowed down around me. University marshalls deployed everywhere, students walking, chattering and kissing, cars entering the car park area. I closed my eyes.

As I was concentrating on feeling the place, I felt a presence came beside me. I could tell that she is a girl, basing it from the rosy smell that i get from her. Her aura sets something off from me, but i cannot point it out.

"I smell spirits of dead people here. Such a stench." her sweet voice echoed in my brain. At this, I opened my eyes. She has long black hair, left swaying down her back. Her skin was ivory white, her lips had a light touch of red lipstick, and she wore black t-shirt and black jeans. "I'm Kathreen" she added.

I felt power running through her veins. "What are you?" I asked. I remembered that Rean is suspicious of her.

She looked at me with her cute eyes and blinked fast ."That Mr. Lynjames, is not something you should know right now." she said.

I lifted my gaze from her and turned to the sky. There was a moment of silenced before Kathreen started to talk again. "Long time ago, massive massacres of unknown reason and unknown killer were evident in this place." she smiled, as if challenging me to continue.

I took her challenge and we talked simultaneously.

"It was said to be the fault of ghosts and demons." I said

"But some said it was the fault of a monster." she said as she gave me a smile, denoting her gladness that i took the challenge.

"Some claim that a professional kiler does the killings."

"However, no one could prove the theories. What they did was to avoid the city."

"Many exorcists tried to cleanse the city bt they all died. Scientists tried to explain it scientifically but before the could prove anything they disappeared. Police tried to infiltrate but they were nothing but useless wretches."

"It is said that once you entered the village, you could not go out alive."

"Hence, citizens of the village built a refuge. A refuge full of anti ghosts and demon devices. Everything they know that could help them. Magic of protection, UV ray lights, black blades, black bullets and others were equipped into the refuge."

"And that refuge is located in this university's grounds."

"Though strongly protected, high level demons can enter the refuge. To negate them, watchers were assigned for shifts, 3 hours a day. If they were to spot a demon, they would recite a chant together, accompanied with magic."

"Some demons were negated just before they could enter. Some were negated after hours of chanting. Hence, being in the refuge was still not safe. Demons that could stand the chant can still kill few of the refugees."

"A league called circle of 5 was formed. They were magicians, sorcerers, spirit consultants, exorcists, vampires, hunters, and werewolves."

"The original 5 members were an exorcists, a sorcerer, a spirit whisperer, a werewolf, and a pure blood vampire. All joined hands to deccrease the ghost's population in the area, as well as decrease the casualties."

"They took the risk of going out of the refuge once a day. They were victorious with each mission they had. But still they can't completely cleanse the village.

"People of the refuge had hope with the circle of 5. But a tragic happening brought their hopes down. The circle of 5 encountered 5 great demons. The fighting was so hard. One demon was like a thousand ghosts. Every time these demons fall, they would regenerate like nothing happened. Hence, they need to kill one demon a couple of hundred times.

"3 members lost their lives. 1 member lost his left arm and the other broke his right leg. The three members managed to defeat 3 demons before they died. The two remaining members fought hard. They joined hands until the two remaining demons were finally brought down to their knees."

"The news of death dropped like atomic bobs through the camp. Everyone cried because the news was the 5 died. Losing their hopes, the camp became a ground of sorrows and tears."

"Meanwhile, a lancer took courage to find the remains of the five. He found two survivors and defended them against a bunch of low level angry ghosts."

"After successfully fighting their way back, the lancer called the attention of the refugees. Everyone was overjoyed to see that two of the circle of five survived. But they still grieved for the three, plus the remaining two survivors can't fight anymore."

"The village has been stable since then. No one went out to cleanse the city. The lancer was only man who lead the defense of the refugee against demons who breached the defense."

"Everyone accepted the fact that they were dead meat already. Until a new set of heroes entered the village. Similar abilities with the original circle of 5. but this time, there were six of them. Once again, the people's hope rose. These made everyone happy."

"With the lancer joining the new comers, they were called 7 titans. Although the lancer has no supernatural powers, he was the most experienced warrior of the 7 individuals. He possessed a silver blade fueled by blood. One slash from it could destroy hundreds of low level ghosts."

"That blade is my aim in coming to this city." Kathreen interrupted.

"Where are you going to use it?"

"Not for something you care about."

"Well, its nice telling stories with you Kathreen." I concluded.

"I'm a bit surprised that you knew the story as much as I do."

"The feeling is mutual." I glanced at my watch. "Gotta go, my next class is about to start."

"Wait. Do you know why this university was called Thauden?" Kathreen asked.

"Jumbled letters – haunted." I answered as I ran towards my next class.

p\{1[|ˢ