Chapter 6: The Midnight Zone

It was cold. Very cold for the dark blackness in a dungeon. Clara and Gavin were still unconscious. Clara awoke to the sound of chatter.

     ".....-and I know for a fact that their siblings are going to come and find them." said a frantic voice.

     "Stop worrying so much, they don't even know where the portal is." said another voice, although it sounded a little calmer. Clara could tell it was General Shadowblade. "You are the Jailkeeper, if they do wake up, give them enough food and water to live." Shadowblade ordered.

     "Yes General Shadowblade." answered the Jailkeeper.

     Clara tried to keep her voice down, she had to get out of her chains. Her effort was slow-going but she made one tiny mistake. The chains were a little loose and it made a bit of a creek. The Jailkeeper heard this noise and asked, "Who's trying to get out?" He stepped into the light and what Clara saw frightened her. The Jailkeeper's face was green and his nose was big and plump. He wore leather boots and a leather shirt. Clara wished he was wearing a leather cap because his ears were so big for his head she was surprised he was still standing upright. "Oh, it's you. You're the Sunweaver correct?" he asked. Clara, to terrified to speak nodded her head in agreement. "And that fella' Gavin? He's the Moonbender yes?" Clara again, nodded her head. "Is he your boyfriend?" he asked tauntingly. 

     "NO! Why would you even think that?" she screamed. Clara didn't even realize she had spoken. Gavin heard Clara scream and woke up.

     "Clara, what's wrong?" Gavin asked. He saw what Clara saw and he shut up.

     "General Shadowblade told me to get you enough food and water to keep you alive." the Jailkeeper said. "I'll be right back." Clara and Gavin watched him leave and they saw him close the door.

     "OK, now's our chance to break out of here." Gavin said.

     "I don't feel so--" Clara sighed and fainted.

     "Clara, CLARA!!" Gavin yelled.

     "Oh...Gavin why do I feel so weak?" Clara managed weakly.

     "The Jailkeeper is an Alingrisher. Alingrishers can absorb your thought and word energy and it can make you feel sick or make you faint." Gavin explained.

     "So---- basically he takes your-- breath away until- you pass out?" Clara asked gasping for breath.

     "Yeah. Pretty much." Gavin replied. "If he comes back and we're still in here, keep your mouth shut and your mind blank. Don't even think about anything or anyone!" Gavin told her. When he finished that sentence the Jailkeeper came back in with food and water.

     "Here ya go. Eat up!" he said with a smirk. He laid the food and water down and got out a key. Gavin had told Clara his plan for getting out of there. When the Jailkeeper had unlocked the door to release their chains they would wait til they were both out and knock him out with a sleep spell, but they'd have to do it fast. The Jailkeeper got inside they're cell, released them both and Gavin quickly chanted: "Creo slembor!" And like that the Jailkeeper fell to the floor and began snoring.

     "When these guys fall asleep, their powers don't work at all." Gavin said with a big old grin on his face.

     "OK. I overheard him and General Shadowblade talking and this fella said that my brother and your sister might be coming to find and rescue us. But how? Valon and Moria are jjust regular kids." Clara said and wondered how all of this was possible.

     "Well, your brother and my sister are actually protectors of the universe like us." Gavin answered.

     "But how? I thought I heard you say there were only two magical beings?" Clara asked puzzled.

     Gavin explained. "The Sunweaver and the Moonbender aren't the only protectors of the universe. Valon, your brother; is the Sun Warrior. And Moria, my sister; is the Moonmage. They help the Sunweaver and the Moonbender defend all life possible." Clara was shocked that she didn't know that her brother was really her guardian. And hearing this triggered another memory when she was very little.

     "You will have to protect the world someday Clara, in order to do that, you and your brother will have to go to Solaris." her mother said.

     "Valon didn't go to 'college', he went to Solaris!" Clara realized with surprise. "But, why would he lie to me?"