Azena - Serfantor's Challenge

45fth day of the season of the fir - Year 2447

Darkness seized Azena's mind as she struggled with the urge to fall asleep and abandon hope. The silver blur was still present in her vision. She resisted fatigue, weakness and did not fall. After rubbing her eyes, her vision cleared up. The first thing she noticed was long silver hair and a familiar face with skin as black as coal. The stern eyes of the gray elf were fixed on her. He was sitting on a rudimentary chair next to her. More specifically, next to her bed.

- What is happening? She asked.

Her visitor frowned and Azena finally recognized him.

- Serfantor, she exclaimed with terror.

- You finally woke up, Serfantor said impassively.

- What? What happened? What are you doing here?

- Relax a little. Your immoderate reaction is giving me a headache. I'm not a necrodin you know.

- It's not a dream, is it?

- No.

- So, what are you-

The eyebrows of Serfantor suddenly creeped closer together, his eyes had a glare and his lips narrowed.

- Silence, he hissed with a sudden anger.

The elf calmed down after his unexpected outburst. Azena gave him a defiant look. She realized that he was there for the Eye of Knowledge. She probed the room and concluded that she was in the infirmary. There were several beds, bedside tables and chairs everywhere. She saw Leith taking care of another patient at the other end of the room, then Fayne and Teriondil who were sitting nearby and watching Serfantor closely. Fayne seemed to be in control of herself, but Azena noticed that her eyes were slightly wider than usual which indicated that she was indeed nervous.

- What is he doing here? Azena asked her friends with slight impatience.

- We did not-, Fayne began.

- We have to talk to each other, interrupted Serfantor. Since I have no time to lose or the urge to run after you, I came to visit you at the infirmary and your two friends refused to leave me alone for a second with you. So I waited patiently for you to wake up.

- You remained unconscious for three hours, said Teriondil. You seemed to be suffering, so I offered tea, but...

- No tea, said a firm voice that Azena identified as Leith's. This is not the moment, Teriondil.

The old healer approached, observed Azena with attention, then took off the bloody bandage from her shoulder and proceeded to replace it with a new one. She pressed brutally. Azena let out a yelp and shook her legs as if trying to catalyse her pain.

- I give up, I give up, she whimpered.

- The bleeding finally stopped, Leith informed, smiling. Besides, you woke up, which is a good sign.

She gave Azena a small vial filled with a strangely pasty and whitish liquid that emanated a strong smell of grass. The teenager grimaced, completely disgusted by the medical preparation.

- It's a painkiller and an anti inflammatory, explained Leith. Come on, don't make this hard.

Azena obeyed reluctantly and handed the vial back to Leith with a desire to regurgitate the liquid.

- So... What exactly happened? Asked Azena.

- You attracted the wrath of Umah, child, accused Leith with reproving eyes. Learn to control your words.