Azena - Inner Rage

41rst day of the season of the fir - Year 2447

When evening came, after the curfew, Azena was waiting for Fayne in the common room near the warm fireplace. Wrapped in a wool blanket, she watched the other apprentices silently. One of them had always attracted her curiosity. He had something about him that made her a little uncomfortable, but she could not understand why.

Umah was doing his anatomy homework in a dark corner installed at a small table. He seemed both annoyed and calm. His mood seemed to frequently waver, therefore he could not find focus.

The common room was serene if one could ignore the crackling of the fire dancing in the fireplace. Umah lowered his head. A rebellious strand disturbed his field of vision. His hair had grown and fast. The latter would have come down to the bottom of his ears if it had she been drooping, but almost all the strands refused to flatten, which gave its wearer a fierce look. Hand on his heart, Umah seemed to check that he was still alive. After a moment he dropped his hand on the table in a slow motion. It looked like he had just died. His blood was still pulsing, but his mind was not present.

He did not notice the presence of Fayne who had entered the common room. His attention was lost in the void and his eyes were closed. It was only several seconds later that a light breeze disturbed his trance. When he opened his deep gray eyes, he saw a young dragon rider in front of him. She seemed nervous, but strove to smile stupidly. Her hazel eyes emitted warmth and gentleness in spite of her delicate situation. It was not that which would charm the wood elf. He gave her an impatient look and went back to work.

Accepting her defeat, Fayne backed away a few steps and crossed her fingers together, staring at the ground. Umah had surrounded himself with his invisible shell once more and ignored everything that was outside of it. His behavior irritated Azena. Fayne was just trying to be friendly. Azena knew that Fayne was shrewd enough to notice that he was not happy. The blue dragon rider had tried talking to him from time to time, so much that Azena suspected that her friend found him to her liking. Fayne already loved the look of the wood elves in general and was often attracted to boys with behavior problems. She always tried to heal them one way or another

- Come Fayne, said Azena trying to hide her impatience. Let's go to sleep. You need your rest.

She dragged her blanket with her and guided her friend to their room. She made sure that Fayne continued before stopping at the beginning of the stairs. When she glanced at Umah, the latter's ears shuddered slightly as if he was alert. He raised his eyes and saw a short dragon rider with a stern face flanked by silver hair that was watching him. He observed her in return for a moment, and spoke:

- Have you been brought up in elvish society? He asked neutrally.

- No, replied Azena, dryly. Are you trying to insult me?

Umah remained neutral, motionless.

- So, were your parents elves?

- N-

Azena interrupted herself because she had no idea who her parents were. Responding negatively to this question would have been a lie.

- I don't know, she replied with a little less assurance.

- I assume that you were abandoned by your parents, concluded Umah with a dark expression.

- So what? I'm sure I'm simply a human.

- Why such an assertion? Because of what the others tell you?

Azena opened her mouth. She could not deny what Umah had said because it was true. No one knew the identity of her parents so no one could confirm her origins.