12 - Intimidation

23rd of the scythe season 2447

Azéna had no classes that were taught by Reaginn or Vyrius, which she was more or less happy about. Deep down, she was aware of her desire to challenge them for their pleasure in torturing the apprentices. On the other hand, she expressed a need for security. Édredon's warnings lingered in her mind. Besides, she was getting respect here and having a good time with her fellow dragons and riders.

Every night, the trio would visit their dragon since they didn't see them in class. Azéna still hadn't convinced Fayne to ride Buhrik. The herbalist refused insistently and sometimes angrily. Nevertheless, the archer encouraged her, trying to make her understand that she should trust her partner. Sometimes, when she felt particularly mischievous, she would threaten to kidnap her during the night to force her to ride on Tyrath with her. Fayne and Teriondil knew too well that she could do it if she really wanted to, but she would never act on her words.

The Litfow girl already had the highest average of the first years due to the many hours of study she dedicated to each class. She was interested in all subjects, unlike Azéna and Teriondil who each had their own preferences. Their distinguished interests were reflected in their grades. Fayne had to help her friends in classes where they were having difficulty, but she didn't mind because she enjoyed doing it.

On this resting day, Azéna let out a grunt of frustration as she reread the text of her karsayrethrès book for the third time.

"I don't understand. How come you can understand this gibberish so easily?"

"It's not my fault you have the memory of a goldfish," Fayne replied patiently.

"Try to teach me again."

"I have to focus on my homework too. Come on, practice on your own. Sorry, Azéna. I wasted too much time today helping you. I have faith in you."

"Yeah, yah... But I have the memory of a goldfish," she grumbled.

She pressed her quill with exaggerated force. The ink spilled out and stained the parchment with a black puddle. Fayne ignored her conduct and continued her work. Teriondil sighed and stared at the young herbalist with puppy dog eyes. The latter raised her shoulders, leaving him in his misery.

"Well, I'll try to explain," the elf decided, sliding closer on the bench towards them.

Silence reigned for one of the rare times in the Hall of Archlan. The two friends were whispering to each other. Standing at the staff table, Terenas watched them with as much curiosity as pride. He surveyed the room, which was only occupied by a few people. Most of them were apprentices, studying or doing their homework. The most important thing, he thought, was that everyone was making an effort.

"The first year apprentices are doing very well."

He smiled, not addressing anyone in particular.

"Most of them," said a woman.

Fiara Blakar was sitting at the table behind him. She blanched briefly to the person to her left. Dressed in his usual ranger attire and black hooded cloak, Reaginn ignored her as best he could. Despite his best efforts, he noticed the mocking smile she gave him and his patience suddenly ran thin.

"Leave him alone," ordered Neige, who was sitting at her sister's right hand. "Really, you're here to teach, not to be a pest."

Fiara took her eyes off Reaginn and began chatting with her sister. The survival master stood up, shook his head and disappeared into the shadows of a corridor. Vyrius, who was waiting for him in a dark corner, followed him. Azéna felt her curiosity get the better of her priorities. Why were these two masters always together? And when they weren't, Vyrius was never far from Reaginn. She had to know. It was too suspicious.