Four

Aunt Nkay had called mom earlier to drive by her office today. She was closing earlier than usual for a friend's welcome party and wanted to tag mom along. So mom had gone to her office to meet with her, however earlier than scheduled. This would be her first party in almost five years and she was too excited to wait at home.

However, her friend wasn't on seat. Mum sat at the reception waiting eagerly. Aunt Nkay stayed over an hour in her manager's office which made mum worried, and more suspicious. She inquired from the receptionist again what she was doing for that long, but the young lad gave her a wry smile, and asked for a little more patience.

"She would soon be here. They have some official papers to sort out" he said.

Her doubts crept back in.
"Was the manager the guy she was having affair with? Mom couldn't help it, she became disappointed and left.

How could she?" Mom wondered.
If after seeing all her sufferings in the hands of her cheating husband, my dad, and yet had the mind to cheat on her spouse, then she wasn't whom she had believed her to be all this while, and never could such a person be her best friend" Mom swore.

Aunt Nkay heard mom came around. She called mom's mobile severally but mom intentionally let them go unanswered. She was sad.

"I maybe wrong" Mom murmured to herself. "Maybe she's innocent" She said. She picked up the phone and redialled aunt's number. They spoke for long.

"Maybe all I needed was just to confirm if she was cheating, and maybe who she was cheating with!  I can't do grudges! They drain me emotionally" Mom said after ending the call.