Chapter 6: But Why?

Chapter 6: But Why?

I stood in the middle of my walk-in closet in just pair of matching navy laced knickers and bra. I honestly had no fucking idea what to wear to Harry's book launch. He never told me what was the dress code, so I wasn't sure whether to go a bit more on the casual side or fancy side. I definitely didn't want to be underdressed, but at the same time, I didn't want to look like I was trying too hard to look good.

After standing there half naked for a good fifteen minutes, I huffed with frustration and decided to ask my sister for her help. I walked back into my bedroom and grabbed my phone from atop my bed so I could ring her up. Thankfully, she answered after the first ring.

"Hey, Benny," she said cheerily.

"Hey, Clove," I grumbled as I walked back into my closet.

"What's up? Wait, lemme guess, you don't know what to wear." It was a statement, not a question. My sister knows me way too well.

"No, I don't! So please help me! I still need to do my hair and makeup and I'm running out of time." I was in panic mode.

"Hey, I'm the one running out of time. I just finished helping Bailey get ready and I still need to shower."

"Oh, shit. It's okay then, you get ready—I'll figure it out or something."

"Ben, it's fine," she reassured me in a calming voice. "I'm teasing you. It doesn't really matter what I wear, and I get ready fast so don't worry. What about that black dress I gave you for Christmas?"

"You gave me a dress?" I asked, genuinely not recalling this fact.

"Oh my fucking god. Yes, I did!" She laughed. "It's the black one with the sleeves." I squinted my eyes as I started to search through my dresses hung in the corner of my closet.

"I need a bit more detail than that."

"Well, that just tells me how much you liked my present," she sarcastically muttered out. But I could hear the smile in her voice.

"No!" I laughed. "I just don't have a social life and never had the chance to wear it yet." I continued riffling through my clothes and finally found it. I let out an excited ah-ha. "I found it! It's the one that goes off the shoulders, right?" I held the dress up in front of me and looked at my floor length mirror to imagine how it'd look on my body.

"That's the one." I tilted my head to the side as I stared at my reflection.

"Hmm, I think this could work. Thanks, Clove. Really, thanks," I honestly said.

"No problem, see you in a bit."

"See you," I said before hanging up the phone in a hurry.

I didn't want to waste any more time so I quickly put on the dress that Clove bought for me. It fitted me perfectly on my arms, chest, and stomach. The bottom ended mid-thigh so it wasn't too short and inappropriate. And the more I stared at myself in the dress, the more I loved it. I put on a necklace that I thought would look great with the dress. As I walked back into the bedroom so I could start doing my hair and makeup, Devon walked in and his face lit up when he saw me in the dress.

"What's the special occasion? Is it date night tonight?" He asked, a panic flooding his features for a second.

"No, it's not date night tonight but—"

"Oh, thank goodness," he sighed with relief. "Because I already made plans for tonight." 

What?

I froze in my spot and stared at him, praying he was just joking. But as another second passed, I realised he wasn't. "But tonight is Harry's book launch party." It took a second for Devon to understand what I was talking about. His eyes widened and his mouth turned into a grimace, his face flooding up with guilt.