Chapter 8

(Lucky)

After a long talk with my sponsor and Garrett, I decided maybe drinking myself into a stupor wasn't my best option, but I still agreed to meet Roger in the bar down stairs. I flagged him as he walked in. I thought I looked bad. I noticed the dark circles under his eyes and the fuzzy blonde hair. What was it about the Christmas season that made the women in their lives drive their men crazy.

I didn't want to make assumptions, because I knew if he was having relationship problems there was no hope for me. My first serious relationship and it was over in a couple of month. He approached scratching the back of his head.

“Hey man,” I greeted him with a handshake and offered him the bar stool beside me while I nursed my sparkling water, while he ordered a beer.

“So what's on your mind?” I asked.

He took as swig of his bottle as if he was trying to gain confidence. “His hand went in his pocket and he crashed an small open box on the counter, with a small ring inside.

My face burned as laughed and pushed his arm away. “Thanks man, but I don't swing that way.”

His head fell as he slid the small box in his pocket. He laughed. “I'm sorry man.” He looked around. “Hope that doesn't make headlines.”

I blew out a breath scratching the side of my head. “Just what I need.” I didn't want to think about that. I didn't want to think about being a celebrity. I didn't want to think about anything. “So that's the big Christmas present? It looks good. Sorry I couldn't help you pick it out, but I think she'll still like it.” I assured

“I know she will..” He blew out a long nervous breath.

“So you know how you're going to do it?”

He shrugged looking into the bar table solemnly.

I pat him on the back. “I'm sure you'll think of something.” I said. “And what better time. Kill two birds with one stone.”

“Thank you.” He said raising bottle. I pushed my glass to his bottle in agreement. I like him. He was practical.

“I...um...I did want to ask...”

“If you think I'm going to let you screw up my biggest fan's marriage proposal, you've got at another thing coming.”

His eyes got big. “Oh my gosh, thank you!”

I chuckled. “In fact let me handle everything, reservations, what ever you need.” I nodded.

“Thank you, man!” He said. “I don't know how I'm going to do it, but you'll be the first to know.”

I slapped his palm. “Well, you've got yourself a rock star.” I said.

After that, we called it a night. He was one lucky guy. I was going to skip town, but I could stay in town for a few more days for this.

I sat up all night wanting to call 'Omie and tell her about her friend's proposal. Tell her something. I would have settled to hear her breathe, even knowing she was still mad at me. All this talk about love and proposals was digging into me. I was going to stay true to my word, but it didn't stop the hurt.I couldn't help but wonder if I would ever have that. I wanted it with Naomi, but she kept pushing me away. I didn't know what to do. Maybe I needed to save myself the heartache and just walk away. Why couldn't I just walk away?