Chapter 10: What a surprise

Breakfast was not as good as I imagined. We were all served oatmeal and orange juice and had 15 minutes to eat it. I basically had to shove it down and then quickly enter my first class. Sergeant Peter's gave me my schedule and I glanced at it several times trying to memorize it.

History

English

Math/Health

government

lunch

Training

Training

Free time

Dinner

I loved how it worked out and was kind of excited about health. Frost led me to my first class then sat in the desk beside me. Our teacher or tutor (that's what they called them) was in an army uniform standing by the white board ready to begin. Her name was Gloria Seinfeld and she had been involved with Project 438 since she was 17. She knew everything there was to tell and filled us in on it once we were settled in. She was a stern person and her voice carried throughout the room. She was very short though and had dark hair braided down her back. I liked when she talked though because she made it interesting.

Our History class revolved around each president and how they used their time in the term after learning everything we could learn about Project 438. We were expected to take notes and learn this before we were tested at the end of the year. I had learned throughout my high school years, that keeping good grades was important and so I had no trouble in getting the work done. Frost was impressed at how easily I kept up with the tutor. Our History class lasted 45 minutes then we were sent to our next class.

Health was a huge shock. It looked like a hospital room. Dummies were on the beds and the chairs. Several adults around the room wore scrubs and held clipboards. We were each sent around to different places in the room learning different doctoring skills. We learned to take blood, do CPR, and many other things. I enjoyed the health class and got nods of approval from the instructors. My favorite instructor in the class so far was Anthony Higgins. He was a jokester and loved to make you laugh and he did that a lot with his jokes. He made me feel comfortable as I worked.

The day went quickly until we got to lunch. Since training was next, everyone tended to eat slower and talk about what they would use in the workout room. I was not sure what I would use but was hoping the person in charge could help me with that. Lunch was so much better than breakfast and I ate faster than breakfast. We had a salad, fruit, water, and baked chicken. I enjoyed the fruit the most. My mom always made fruit bowls at home so I felt at home with this meal though she never really liked chicken much. I nibbled on it a little then decided I had my fill and dumped my tray.

"You don't like chicken?" Frost asked walking with me to the elevator.

I honestly did not think she would notice that small detail. I figured her mind was on something else the way she kept to herself and looked like she was thinking hard on something.

"My mom never made chicken in the house and we never went out to eat. We mostly ate healthy stuff at home."

"Then you must feel right at home here."