Chapter 20

Ricky's POV

It's a bit past noon and I'm pulling up to Blair's barn in Lenox, Pennsylvania. It seems fairly new, it's not giant, but definitely isn't small. I parked my car next to the others lined up on the gravel driveway in front of the light blue and white barn. There's the main entrance in the middle of the building with three windows that can open and close on either side of the entrance that must be part of the horses' stalls.

I entered the barn and did not see anyone. I peeked my head into the small office to the right, then went into the main aisle after seeing that the office was empty. I saw a teenager enter a stall with a shovel-pitch fork thing.

"Hey! Do you know where Blair is?"

"She's out in the back pasture turning a horse out," the kid answered me with a confused look on his face.

"Thanks," I quickly said and went out one of the side doors of the barn.

I saw Blair walking towards a gate with a light brown horse by her side. The horse kept putting its head down to eat grass slowing them down.

"I'll get this," I said while opening the gate for her.

She turned around after she got the horse to pick his head up and a big smile made its way across her face.

"What are you doing here?"

I wrapped my arms around her, but our hug was interrupted by the horse putting its head down pulling Blair back with it.

"I swear Cappy," she said frustrated as she pulled his head back up.

"Is Cappy yours?"

"No, his owner boards him here. Anyways, why did you come all the way up here?" she asked again as she led him into the pasture and took the thing around his face off.

She hung it up on a hook attached to the fence as I closed the gate and latched it. I brought her into one more hug.

"I brought you lunch," I said beginning to answer her question.

This hug didn't last very long since she pulled away and looked at the bag in my hand, "Great! I'm starving, since Lauren stole my lunch, probably to help you out."

"Can't I get a longer hug?"

"After I eat some food, I'm starving. If you told her to leave me a snack, then maybe you would have gotten a proper hug by, now," she said, then grabbed the lunch bag and jogged off with it into the barn.

"Are you saving some for me? I'm hungry, too!"

I ran in after her and caught up with her in the office, where she was sitting on a bench against the wall.

"Come and get it," she said taking a bite out of her sandwich while waving the bag in the air.

"Fine with me."

I sat down next to her and gave a quick kiss, that tasted like peanut butter. She swallowed her bite and almost choked.

"You know that's not what I meant," she said scolding me.

I grabbed my sandwich from the bag and took a bite.

"Hey, it's nice you have AC in your office, so you can get out of the heat."

"I made sure at least one room had AC and heating, it's a nice comfort, but also very nice to have to keep someone comfortable if they get injured riding or get overheated."

She leaned over to me and gave me a quick kiss, "You put a ton of peanut butter on my sandwich. Good call."

"I have some fruit, orange juice, and some chocolate covered chocolate because chocolate covered strawberries would be too healthy," I said smiling at her.

"If I knew there was chocolate in here earlier I would have just started with that," she looked into the bag and grabbed a few chocolates handing half to me, "How many did you put in here? Hey! You even brought a bag of carrots."

"I knew I would need them for the hungry animal in here and I was thinking the carrots would come in handy for the horses," I smirked down at Blair.

"You go that right," she said and took the chocolates that she handed me back.

"Oh, come on, that's not fair. You see, I'm, also, a hungry animal currently."

"Did you do ranch work today?"

"No, but..." I trailed off as she handed me the chocolates back.

Her smirk turned into a sweet smile and she looked so angelic. I brushed back some of the hair that was on her face. I put an arm around her waist and she leaned closer to me. We ate the fruit for a bit in a comfortable and content silence. She was now, completely leaning on me with her eyes closed while I finished the rest of the fruit.

"Are you tired out?" I whispered to her.

"Just a little bit," she said opening her eyes and sitting up.

I pulled her back to me, so she was leaning against me again, "I think you could take a little bit longer of a break."

"I could, but there's work," she whispered back.

"I bet you haven't taken a break before this. You'll be more productive if you relax for just a few more minutes."

She laughed quietly, "We sound like me and my conscience when I'm procrastinating."

I smiled a bit more at her comment but smiled more when she didn't say anything more and just shut her eyes.

Blair's POV

I quickly woke up after falling asleep for a moment and yawned. His comfortable presence makes it nearly impossible to move away from him.

"Go back to sleep," I heard Ricky softly whisper.

"No, I'm supposed to work," I said with another yawn.

I sat up and stretched and Ricky tried pulling me back to him.

"I'll introduce you to the horses if you want."

I stood up and threw out our trash and Ricky slowly got up.

"Did you sleep at all last night?" he asked me.

"I did sleep," I said and Ricky raised his eyebrows, "I really did!"

"Mmm... I don't think so," he said stepping closer to me.

"Whatever, Horrorshow."

I turned towards the door of my office but he stopped me from walking there.

"I don't think I'm done with this just, yet," he said stepping closer and smirking, "If you slept last night then why are you so tired?"

"I was kept up a bit late by-"

"I knew it! There's another man isn't there?" he joked with me, "I bet you don't actually mean 'sleep' when you said you 'slept'."

I pushed him back a little

"Poor Ghost," I muttered.

"Poor Ghost?", Ricky looked at me with a smirk back on his face, "Now, I do have something to actually interrogate you on."

"I don't think you do," I said pushing away from him, but he pulled me closer.

"What does 'poor Ghost' mean?", he said in a low voice.

I could feel his breath on the side of my neck.

"Hmm?" he asked.

"It means you're going to be a pain on tour," I said whispering to him as if it was the biggest secret in the world.

I quickly squirmed out of his arms and out of the office. I could hear him close behind me, but I turned out of the barn and ran into an open shed that stores some of our hay bales. I climb up a few and waited for him to catch up, which wasn't very long.