Chapter Thirteen: Desmond Confesses

Kyra Summers:

I glanced at Dez. I knew he loved his family but he seemed to be withdrawing from them and I think it was because I showed up.

I said, “Angie, why don’t you go see what Dexter’s doing? I want to talk to Dez.” Dez rolled his eyes and Angie nodded, skipping away.

He asked, “What?”

I said, “Let’s go talk in your room.” He nodded and left. I got off the floor with some difficulty and then went into his room. He was lying on the bed staring at the ceiling.

He asked again, “What is it now?”

I cut straight to the point, “What have you been up to? I know it isn’t friends you are hanging out with all night so just tell me.”

He shook his head, “You wouldn’t understand.”

I said, “Try me.”

He scoffed, “Just be the perfect little daughter for dad and leave me alone. I don’t want to talk about it.” I sighed trying to find something I could use to get him to talk to me.

I offered, “How about I tell you a story that happened to me and you tell me what it is that is going on with you? That way you will know something about me. And for your information I am very understanding when someone explains all the facts to me. I know you don’t want to hurt your family but that is what you are doing and frankly, I don’t like it. Dad is worried. I’m worried too. I just met you but I love you Dez unconditionally because you are my brother. I may have just found out about you existing but it doesn’t matter.”

He sighed, “I love you too.”

I said, “Then trust me. Tell me what is going on so that I can help you out.”

He asked, “What if I don’t want your help?”

I said, “Then I won’t help. I will just be the ear. My lips are sealed. You can just tell me what is going on and I won’t talk to anyone about it or anything. They won’t leave my lips, got it?” I could tell he still wasn’t convinced. I said, “I’m not leaving this room and neither are you until I get an answer. Our family is downstairs and will come up to check on us whether you want them to or not because they care.”

He scoffed, “I can leave whenever I want. You can’t force me to tell you anything.”

I raised a brow, “Why are you acting like a little kid?” He rolled his eyes and an idea popped into my head. I shrugged, “Fine. If you want to act like a little kid I will treat you like one.”

He asked, “How are you going to do that?”

I shrugged, “You know when Angie gets in trouble?” He nodded. I asked, “How does dad deal with her?”

He said, “He spanks her and stands her in the corner.”

I nodded, “Then we will treat you like that.”

He shook his head, “I know dad. He wouldn’t do that to me.”

I shrugged, “Who said dad would be the one doing it? I gladly will.”

He said, “You couldn’t get me over your lap with a baby in your stomach.”

I shrugged, “Dexter can. He cares too and I know he wouldn’t hesitate to bend you over his knee if it would give him answers.” His eyes widened and I knew he knew it was true.

He said, “You wouldn’t.”

 I opened the door slightly and called, “Dexter. Can you come up here for a minute?” I was pulled back into the room and he shut the door. He turned to me. It slightly scared me so I wrapped my hands around my baby bump.