Chapter 8

Imad's P.O.V

The next morning I prayed Fajr. I didn't sleep the entire night because I knew I upset Hasna when we were talking over the phone but I didn't mean it. I just thought using the car would be easier for her.

I walked down the pathway to her house and rang the doorbell. Aunty opened the door with a smile and let me in.

"Aunty, is Hasna still praying Zuhr?"

"No, she...urm, she can't."

"Oh, right. Yeah, I understand." I nervously scratched the back of my neck and cleared my throat. "Is she okay? Does she need any help?"

"Actually, she's ready. I'm just going to help her into her wheelchair."

"Aunty...urm, is it okay if I help? Or just watch how to? I mean...after she moves in on Thursday then I need to know if I have to help her in a certain way."

Aunty nodded her head and we both walked up the stairs. Amina called Aunty for something and she pointed out where Hasna's bedroom was. I knocked on the door.

"Hasna, you decent?"

"Imad?"

"Yeah it's me. Can I come in?"

"Wait...Now you can." I turned the door knob and found Hasna poking a pin through her scarf. I sat on her wheelchair and smiled at her glaring face. "Stop playing around with it."

"I'm sorry if I upset you yesterday. I didn't mean to offend you. I'm not embarrassed to be seen with you. I love you and I accept you in every way. I could never be embarrassed of you. Unless it's like a joking embarrassed. I just said that because I thought it would be easier for you. If you want to walk it there then I will. I will push you all the way." She frowned at me and then put her arm out.

"Are you gonna help me up?"

"What do...How do I do it?"

"Just secure me by the waist and make sure I get on the chair." She put her hands on my shoulders and I slowly lifted her up and started to move her. "Slowly. Slowly. Too tight. My spine is still delicate. Slowly." She finally sat down on the chair and took a deep breath. Although it was right next to the bed, it took some time since the bed was a bit higher.

"I'm sorry! Are you okay?! Did I hurt you?"

"No, no. You did great. You just need to know where to hold and that's it. Thank you."

"You sure? If I hurt you then I need you to tell me."

"Stop freaking out. Come on, lets go." I pushed her down the ramp at the back of the house and pushed her into the kitchen. "I need a glass of water."

"I'll do it."

"No, I can do it."

"I said I'll do it." I turned on the tap and Aunty came into the kitchen. Amina quickly put her scarf around her head and started to help her mum with chopping things.

"Why won't you let me do it myself? I can do it!"

"I didn't say you couldn't. I just want to do it for you."

"This is stupid! A wife should be doing this for her husband!" She tried to stand up but ended up falling back in her seat in tears. I put the glass of water down and knelled beside her.

"Hey! Stop crying. Hasna, I'm sorry. Look, I'm sorry, okay? Look at me. I'm sorry. Please don't cry. Hasna, please?"

"I think you should go. I'll call the officer and tell him to arrange it another day. Amma, can you take me to the bedroom, please?"