Chapter 14

The next time I wake up, my stomach doesn't hurt a lot. I notice Peeta staring through the crack in the cave with bags under his eyes.

"Peeta, you should go to sleep. I'll be fine." I say.

"Okay." He replies tiredly.

I take another pill and look at our food. The turkey looks like it's gone bad. That must be why my stomach hurt! I decide to dig a hole outside and put the rotten turkey meat inside of it. Then I snack on some nuts and fruit while Peeta naps.

When Peeta wakes up, I tell him about the turkey meat.

"Sorry." He says.

"It's fine." I reply. "How many people have died?"

"The boy from 5. That it." He says.

I sigh. "I want to go home."

"Don't worry. They'll kill each off until we're left."

"But I can't kill you! I've already killed enough people." Tears start forming in my eyes.

"We might not even be the last ones. We could die before that happens."

Then we hear a thump outside.

"Peeta!" My eyes widen with terror. I grab my knife from a pack.

"They must be here. I think I heard a voice!" It sounds like a girl.

"I'll peek inside." A male voice.

I motion for Peeta to lean against the wall farthest from the tiny hole.

"It's too dark for anyone to be in there! You're an idiot!"

Then I hear a girl scream. A cannon goes off. I wait until the person walks away.

"That was a close one!" I exclaim.

"Yeah. Why don't we go hunt for some food, because we're running out." Says Peeta.

"Okay." I agree.

We quickly pack our things and step outside into the woods. I see a small chicken and hide behind a tree. Gripping my knife, I throw it in the chicken's direction. I hear a squeal and see the knife lodged into its chest. I pick it up and skim the feathers off. Then I put the meat in a plastic bag and see a groosling. It reminds me of Rue. Tears form in my eyes but I kill it anyways. After cleaning the meat, Peeta suggests that we go pick some fruit. As we're walking to the bushes, I see a knife fly into the trees.

"Prim! Duck!" Peeta yells.

I duck my head and see another knife. I turn around and look at who's doing it. It's a small boy, probably about 13 or 14.

He tries to throw another knife and I hit him in the leg. He screams out in pain, and I suddenly recognize him as the boy that almost found us in the cave.

"Peeta! Kill him!" I say frantically.

Peeta throws a knife at him and a cannon goes off.

"Okay. Let's go pick some berries." I say as I collect the remaining knifes.

"Good idea."

We spend the next few hours collecting berries and fruit. Then we head back to our cave and watch the anthem. The boy and girl from 9. That's all.

"I'll keep watch if you want." Peeta offers.

"Okay." I reply.

I eat another stomach pill and lay down on the sleeping bag, dreaming of Rue, Katniss, and I playing in a meadow.

---------------------

I wake up to Peeta shaking me.

"I think I heard something." He whispers.

I grab my knife, preparing for what could be outside. Then I see a bunny.

I laugh.

"Sorry." Peeta says.

"It's fine." I reply. "You should be getting some sleep though."

He nods tiredly and take his turn on the sleeping bag. I lean against the cave wall and watch the stars, thinking about Katniss and my mother. A few hours later, Peeta wakes up.

"We should go kill everyone to get over with it." He says.

I sigh. I don't like killing, but I do want to get out of this stupid arena.

"Okay."

We head out of our cave after eating a big breakfast.

"Wait, so there's the girl from 5 and the boys from 9 and 11, right?" I ask.

"Yeah."

Then I hear a rustling in the bushes. I squeeze the handle of my knife and slowly step towards the bush.

"Prim!" Peeta suddenly yells.

I look back at him and see the knife in his arm.

Then I see the girl from District five running off, her red glinting in the sun. I scream in frustration and throw my knife in her direction. I hear the scream and a cannon goes off.

"Oh my gosh! Peeta!" I look at his arm.

"I'm gonna have to take the knife out." I say.

He nods. Then I yank the knife out. "Ahhhhh!" He yells.

I cover his mouth. "Shhh. You don't want them to hear you."

I look at the cut. It isn't too deep, thankfully. I dig into my pack and clean the cut. Then I rub on some ointment and wrap it in a bandage.

"Does it still hurt?"

"A little."

"Do you want to go rest in a tree?"

"Sure."

I pick a thick tree and help Peeta as he struggles to climb. When I'm sure we're high enough and the branch I'd thick enough, I get out our sleeping bags.

"I wish we had two pieces of rope instead of one." I sigh.

"Here's an idea." Peeta takes a knife and cuts the rope in half.

"Okay. That's a solution. Now get in your sleeping bag."

He climbs in and then I wrap the rope around him, securing it with a tight but not too tight knot. Then I climb into my own sleeping bag and pull on my extra jacket. Then I see the anthem playing. The only person that died is the girl from 5 . I eat some of the fruit that Peeta collected and then fall asleep.

************

Hope you liked this! And thanks for 267 reads! Remember to comment ideas/advice and vote for my story!